Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Duly's. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5480
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where exactly is Duly's Coney Island, and is it still good?

jjaba is venturing out.
Thanks.
jjaba.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 644
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.myspace.com/dulys

Kenp

Post Number: 645
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5458 W Vernor Hwy
Between Morrell and Junction

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3565
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor, just east of Junction--kitty corner from Holy Redeemer--almost on the corner.

Cops go there. Unsure if they deliver to the far west side...

Myself, I don't eat them (oxtails, hearts, kidneys, spleens, etc.--everything cheap on the animal is used except for their squeals).

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on August 01, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5482
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent. Merci. Great service guys. Thanks.

What is the best order in the house?

jjaba.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Loose!

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also: On Vernor bus route, for those celebrating ozone action day.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for nearly ruining them for me, LY.
Jjaba: Get two hot dogs, heavy chili, light onion, with mustard. They're unbeatable. They're cheap, too, only a $1.50 or so, I believe.
The coneys are even better when they're takeout. All the ingredients coagulate into one messy, delicious mess.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Southwest Detroit staple.

Get the “Nickels special”: two eggs (over medium), bacon, toast, hash browns, onions grilled, chopped, and mixed into the hash browns, chili poured over the hash browns, and a side of jalapenos.

Look for the Depression era paper clip behind the cash register that reads, “For a $ 1.50, she enjoys two coneys with everything!” (or something to that nature).

There’s also a black and white photo of Donald Sutherland and a very pretty girl sitting at the counter. This was taken when the film “Rosary Murders” was being shot on the nearby Holy Redeemer campus. No doubt the girl was an actress in the film, just don’t know her name.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5485
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Order up. Two on one, one loose, onion, lite mustard. Vernors, no Pepsi. Chips, no fries. One chili fries, no chips.
One apple-a-pie.

Do they yell it out like The Lafayette or is this a different operation at Duly's? I love the Yeminites down at The Lafayette.

Humburger humburger!!!

But Duly's has been so highly touted, jjaba is planning to check it out.

jjaba, Westsider.

Kenp

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always be preparred if you sit at the Lafayette counter, or you get that look.
I can hear it now, "What you want"

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 591
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba,

You remind me of the famous "cheezborger, cheezborger" series of sketches in the first couple seasons of SNL with Buck Henry frequently portraying the hapless customer. They were based on the Billy Goat Tavern in Chicago (a wonderful dive if you're ever in the Windy City). Lafayette is a bit like that, though not as extreme.

Duly's I have not yet been to, though I go past it on the bus twice a day. I'll have to check it out some afternoon. (I can't eat that kind of stuff in the morning, though my doctor says I shouldn't eat it at all.)

Krhn313
Username: Krhn313

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get the Mayo Special: fries drowning in two kinds of chili, covered with loose meat, mustard, onion, and Frank's Red Hot.

http://www.datavibe.net/~krhn/ images/misc_site/mayo_special. jpg

(Message edited by krhn313 on August 04, 2007)

Detrola
Username: Detrola

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say again, the best coney island in the city.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5489
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, jjaba has been to Billy Goat Tavern and knows well the mantra and the Curse of the Billy goat Story of the pissant Chicago Cubs.

There, ask for salad. "Salad only on Tuesdays, come back tomorrow."

Ask for a single humburger. "Today, only double-a-humburgers. Come back Thursday for singles."

As for a large fries. "Chips, no fries."

Ask for onion on burger. "Onion featured at salad bar on Fridays."

Got any tomato for the humburger? "Tomato only in season. Come back next month."

Got desserts? "Cheesecake on Wednesday at the bar across Michigan Avenue."

Gimme a Coke with ice. "Pepsi, no Coke." "Iceman no come here today."

Foggetaboitit, I'll take an ice tea. "Not hot enough, only 94 today with 90% humidity." "Come back in summer."

jjaba, taking shit at Billy Goat Tavern under Michigan Ave. Bridge across from The Trib.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duly's is in my neck of the woods, Jjaba. May I recommend grabbin' your grub at Duly's and taking it over to Clark Park, Detroit's best-kept secret.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made that Duly's myspace Duly's is a fuckin institution!

Chitaku

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sadly i forget the password to update it

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you order an omelet at Duly's , for some reason they serve it with a small salad with French dressing on the same plate . For the life of me , I could never figure out why and I've never asked . I agree it's the best coney island in the city and I'll go one step further and say it's the best in the state . Since there aren't any "Detroit style " coney islands in any other state that I'm aware of , I'll go two steps further and say Duly's is the best coney island in the world .

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 791
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only problem I have with Duly's is that they wrap the dogs in paper for a take out order.
It makes for an absolute mess.

Anyone know how long Duly's has been there?

(Message edited by rjk on August 05, 2007)

Chitaku

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

since 1921

(Message edited by chi-taku on August 05, 2007)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5491
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyobdy doing bidness since 1921 must have their schitt together, as they say.

Describe the neighborhood around Duly's. Do we park on the street or need a fucking valet?
Is Holy Redeemer open for a peek? jjaba can remove his cap.

Sounds like Duly's is like the old Greek Joints all over the Westside in the 1940s. Sounds like it is a full-service Greek Joint.

jjaba, getting excited about Duly's.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5492
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Duly's run by Greeks, Yeminites, whom?

jjaba.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

park right in front i think they are albanian but i'm not sure

Jjaba

Post Number: 5494
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Albanians run a whole lot of Coney Islands, eh. The Greeks must have all sent their kids to college and they now are eddycated.

Thanks for the parking advice for jjaba.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want a Greek run coney island go to Athens Coney Island on Woodward South of 14 mile in Royal Oak . They're Greeks for sure ,foods good too . Doesn't have the atmosphere of Duly's though .

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Softailrider, lol, right on!

Jjaba, Duly’s is operated by a family of devout Catholic Albanians. Very, very good people.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 39
Posted on Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When are you going to be in town, Jjaba? Alot of people would love to meet you. I'll Buy you a coney.

Stromberg2, hungry.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.