Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Looking for 100% lump hardwood charcoal in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the questionable "detroit subject" post. Looking for 100% lump hardwood charcoal for sale in detroit.I DO NOT want the "COWBOY" brand sold at lowes. Thank you in advance for any leads.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Jackson Dalton Jr on Plymouth Road between Schaefer and Greenfield...(313) 493-1903

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 114
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the cowboy brand? I've seen it at many places lately...

Bigcab
Username: Bigcab

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used Cowboy brand in my new smoker. Had some problems regulating and holding a low temp. for a long period of time. (Real BBQ is low temp for a long time) Was reading an independent web site (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump. htm ) that reviews lump charcoal and all the reviewers stated that the Cowboy brand is junk, lots of scrap lumber, and it burns too fast, and too hot, with no smoke flavor. In my two weeks using it..I think they are right.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 640
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://billybonesbbq.stores.ya hoo.net/natharlumcha.html

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Kingsford Charcoal web site:

"...and has been since the 1920s, when Henry Ford learned of a process for turning wood scraps from the production of Model T's into charcoal briquets. He built a charcoal plant, and the rest is history.

The Kingsford Company was formed when E.G. Kingsford, a relative of Ford's, brokered the site selection for Ford's new charcoal manufacturing plant. The company, originally called Ford Charcoal, was renamed Kingsford® Charcoal in his honor."

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had the exact same problem with Cowboy Brand; it burns waaayyy to hot for smoking meat. I find regular Kingsford is actually better than Cowboy.

Rafael (SP?) at Eastern Market I think has different brands. They have several assortments of wood chips.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charcoal briquets are great if you like your food tasting like petrochemicals.

the other advantage is that most natural hardwood charcoal comes from the SE united states whereas most briquets are made in china

Cinderpath

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I went into the Kingsford plant in West (by God) Virginia, it is a local product there, from the SE, and actually I think it is a decent product. It does not taste like petrochemicals when you don't use lighter fluid, or buy the stuff with fluid impregnated in the briquets. I do however prefer lump charcoal. We won't even talk about gas grills, they are not for real men :-)

Cinderpath

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some very interesting info:

http://www.virtualweberbullet. com/charcoal.html

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 100
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like mesquite wood or even mesquite wood chips.
It makes everything taste great!

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 260
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boulier's in Ferndale used to sell a type of lump charcoal labeled by the 'Big Green Egg' company.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bourliers between 9 and 10 Mile on Woodward apparently carries Big Green Egg charcoal.

http://bourlierbbq.com/

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chef's Choice Mesquite is also apparently available in ann arbor (kerry town) or Holiday market in royal oak.

and keystone - looks like you beat me to the punch!

Dave
Username: Dave

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I buy Royal Oak at Meijer's. I used to buy a brand that was produced in Gladwin, but I haven't seen it for years. Don't know if they still make it, don't remember the name.
When I need to smoke something all day, I start a fire with briquets, let them burn down then feed in small hardwood logs, usually maple, to do the actual smoking.
dave

Kittypooka
Username: Kittypooka

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have about 30+ pounds of good hardwood charcoal that I'd be willing to part with.
I picked it up off ebay some time ago and have since then gotten rid of my cast iron habachi and the shape of the coal isn't complimentry to using in a small grill ie. small branch shaped pieces of coal.

Let me know if you're interested.
Kittypooka@yahoo.com

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.