Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Big changes out on METRO detroits far east side « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 503
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way out here north of Mt Clemens we have watched our relative quite lakeside areas become busy congested parts of metro Detroit. I have felt recently now that Chesterfield now shares more in common with Sterling Heights than say north Macomb Co. There is a different feel out here now that a lot of subdivisions are done and the landscape is altered. Now the commercial projects are making this area more suburban and developed than ever. There is a convention center planned for a large development running from 21 to hall along I94 as well as other commercial uses. That is not all along this corridor out here. Wal Mart has expanded at Hall and I94 (They built a huge parking lot near there...literally a large parking lot not near the store I have no idea why????) A large shopping center is being built at 23 and Gratiot. Another site at 23 and I94 is being considered by Wal Mart too. MEijer at 23 and Gratiot is expanding as well. Finally a Meijer is almost done at 26 and I94 as well. Needless to say it is becoming big box ville and while I see developments in Detroit it seems that there is still plenty of investments far out to suck people from Detroit and other developed areas. Another thing in the paper was available land on selfridge along the lake. I hope it becomes public land as there is 2 miles of frontage but as I have watched this area be developed over the years I am NOT going to count on it. It is a shame with all of the interesting waterfront property in SE Mi that it is not developed in a better manner as they have done down on Detroits river front.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070731/NEW S04/707310317/1006/NEWS04

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2007707310379

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just lured North of Hall for a wedding, a concert, a funeral, and soon another wedding. It's worth noting that all but the concert are events held by people who live near me or South of me, so the draw to the North is tugging on people in the middle. I live at 14 Mile and am in my 20s and remember my area being rural when I was in grade school. I spend my dollars close to the center when I can help it. I have some friends who have moved to the city and inner ring but a significant number are being lured North for jobs, one of them at that new 26-Mile Meijer. Deeply disappointing.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4993
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, the thing that really bothers me about the area that you describe is the general lack of mature trees. Any groves of midgrowth forest are usually leveled for the subdivisions.

Also, the irony is that many inner ring suburbs are now more forested than many sections of Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.