Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New Marcus Market paint job « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/marcus10407.aspx

looks good...the slide show is very telling in demonstrating the contrast

I would like to see an awning (see Midtown corner cafe) replace that green paint strip

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confused. So it was white, and they painted it to look like brick? Can that really look good in person?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1752
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it looks like they carefully used rollers to paint the faces of the bricks only...the "natural" relief of the existing brick wall was just brought out by the paint. i love the low tech and low cost aspect of it, and i would imagine that was a hell of a lot cheaper than sandblasting the entire building to reveal the real brick.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on July 30, 2007)

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 282
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its good to see some people using a hands on approach to improving their environment, It is just too bad the owners didn't see that,, Anyway, hats off to them.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of liquor stores, there is one at Puritan and Livernois called I think "College Liquor Shoppe" near Detroit Mercy. I think that it is the best improvement that I have ever seen to a liquor store. The fact that the owner would spend money in not the nicest neighborhood and rebrick the exterior and put on 'goose neck' lighting and a cornice was really surprising to me.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6301
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH! College Liquor Store was built in 1983 just to luring in some college kids ot buy some booze for their frat parties. I like what they done with place. Still Chaldean family owned and still going strong.

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yech! Have any of you actually seen the paint job in person? The fake bricks are tacky but bearable; the fake windows just look silly. I'm all for neighborhood improvement, but what's so wrong with a white building anyways?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who puts paint on brick should be slapped in the first place. I realize it was already painted before this.

Jit
Username: Jit

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it looks cool. before it was such an eyesore, i thanked the owner a few weeks ago. he's very friendly. since he moved in two years ago, i've seen him show a lot of concern and help his neighbors. the improvements he's made have really impressed me, too.

he confided to me that he hoped it wouldn't get messed up, which led me to believe he was attempting to discourage the half-ass graffiti that kept finding itself there.

with the dally coming up, it's a smart move. it's inviting for non-regulars. in the past, out-of-town friends of mine have been scared to go there.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's looks great. Kudos to all involved.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It takes a village"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.