Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Photo LIV - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What street is that? Where was the photographer standing?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here.

Ookpik

(Message edited by Ookpik on July 30, 2007)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6330
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O - The bigger link doesn't work.

I would guess Michigan or Fort? (It's hard to tell from the small version)

If it's Fort, maybe it was taken from the bridge?

Ookpik

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about the link not working. I'll see what I can do to fix it.

That was my guess - that it was taken from the bridge.

Ookpik

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voting for Fort st. looking east. The big factory building just east of the church sat crumbling for years--finally got demoed and removed about 10 years ago.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3535
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building with that notch-like footprint near the lower right is still there and can be seen with Google Earth. So, it's definitely Fort Street by the bridge. Also I remember seeing that old factory building north of Lafayette in another picture which I don't seem to have any longer. That building was right by the moat from the MCS, if my memory holds.

Ookpik

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fixed! :-)

Livernoisyard - Did you see Old Photo LIII?

Ookpik

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3536
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember 53. I haven't been following this topic that much lately.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3537
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK. I see it.

check this for the building in the background Isn't it still there at the NW corner of Vermont and Howard?

Is that taller narrow structure a church? It appears to be in the general location of St. Vincent de Paul parish and high school on 14th or maybe 13th?

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 30, 2007)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3414
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, another picture from the bridge, this time over Fort Street. Wing's Drugs is at the corner of Fort and 20th. In the background is the Good Shepherd convent near St Anne, and beyond it is the big warehouse on Howard at Vermont:

House of Good Shepherd Convent

From WSU VMC

warehouse

from Microsoft Virtual Earth

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 92
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep that's Fort St. w/ the dual Spires of the Chapel within the grounds of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd. St. Anne's on the other hand was a single spire. The building closest the curb in the compound was the Sisters' steam laundry and is today a warehouse.

Laundry courtesy WSU

2003 #1

2003 #2

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3542
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bridge office (2744 W Fort St), customs brokers & UPS (2808 W Fort St), and the border patrol (3033 Porter St.) facilities are now located near the bottom of the picture.

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm real lost on the photo. I thought the warehouse in the distance was the old "Carter Color Coat" plant

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3614
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive up there. There might be some wording still on it.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kaptansolo,

The White edged huge warehouse in the distance would be the one Liv. is writing about. The Sisters' laundry is near the sidewalk on Fort Street. In the picture you can see the wall that originally encircled the "compound".

Leo B

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.