Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Apartment Shopping « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 263
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking to move to downtown/midtown in the next month or so, and was looking for a few suggestions.

I'm going to be renting, so that kind of limits my options. Also, I wanted to stick with the loft-type developments

So far, I'm considering the Garfield, New Amsterdam, Merchant's Row, and the Lofts on Woodward.

Can anybody offer a comparison of these options? I was wondering how loud downtown gets at night on the weekends

Any info would be great. Thanks.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3399
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fyfe Building...I'd really love to live there, and at this point it's apartments instead of condos.

http://detroitmidtown.com/05/m idtown.php?offset=0&type=&cat_ id=21&msub=

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a unit overlooking Woodward at Merchant's Row, and the sound of the city isn't bad. Actually, I love it (that's part of living in the city, right??).

On nights when the Tigers are in town I can hear the crowd cheer. As far as general noise, the city is pretty quiet after 6pm unless something's going on. Friday and Saturday night there's a lot of traffic on Woodward (especially after 2 when Bleu and Apt kick everyone out), but it's not unbearable.

The 1-bedroom units are set up so the bedroom is in the back. I usually sleep with the windows open and the sound doesn't bother me one bit!!

Lofts at Woodward is comparable to Merchant's Row, but I chose the latter because I liked the finishes and amenities better. Let me know if you're interested in checking it out - I can give you a good contact in the leasing office!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arent you folks concerned about a fire? This city doesn't have the best track record of services like Police and Fire department. I'm not sure I'd want to be trapped on an upper floor waiting on them.

Just a consideration.

Spidergirl

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo - LMR has had many (false) alarms since the Breakfast House moved in there. The fire department has responded promptly to each.

Are you speaking from personal experience?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Arent you folks concerned about a fire? This city doesn't have the best track record of services like Police and Fire department. I'm not sure I'd want to be trapped on an upper floor waiting on them."

Buildings are designed for people to be able to get out when there is a fire and also fire sprinklered buildings can basically put out any small fire. Chances are that a tall building isn't any less safe than a one story building. The recent furniture store fire in Charleston, SC proves that. I'd rather live in a sprinklered high rise than a four-story unsprinklered wood structure suburban condo.

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spidergirl,

I do plan on checking out Merchant's Row, and appliances/finishes are my chief concern. At first I wanted to find a place with some sort of view, but those seem to be all condos. Did you visit anything in midtown when you were looking? Also, does the Breakfast house really deliver?

Spidergirl

Post Number: 301
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did look in midtown, but wanted to be in the CBD so I could walk to everything (games, the riverfront, work, etc.).

And yes, the Breakfast house does deliver. There's a lock box in the lobby. I haven't tried yet because I'm too afraid...their Bananas Foster French Toast or the Smoked Salmon Benedict in the comforts of my own bed?

Yikes! I'd be in trouble!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.