Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Pre 696 pictures? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 399
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where I can find some pre I-696 pictures of Royal Oak, Oak Park, etc..

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2763
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would this help?

http://techtools.culma.wayne.e du/media/low_res/aerial_photos /index.htm

Meeshba
Username: Meeshba

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be neat to see pictures of the giant slide on 10 mile road and the Totem Pole on Woodward.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to the Virtual Motor City:

http://dlxs.lib.wayne.edu/cgi/ i/image/image-idx?c=vmc

... and throw every applicable search term you can think of at it. Sometimes you'll find photos of what you're looking for, with unexpected search words.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4975
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the Macomb County part of the route back in the 1960's. My parents had friends in Warren (near 11 Mile & Hoover), and I remember we were driving down 11 Mile Rd. where there was a wide 200 foot grassy area along both sides of the road with scattered trees and bushes, with the perimeter of all the subdivisions beyond the 200 ft. point.

Today when driving along Mound Rd. between 15-18 Mile Rd., one can still find places where the state right of way sets property way back from the Mound Rd. boulevard.

However with the decision that Mound would not be a Freeway (even though it has that massive I-696/Mound Rd. interchange), some of these parcels of right-of-way land have been built upon.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 29, 2007)

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could go to the One Stop Shop of the Oakland County Planning Department and print out maps aerial photos from 1963, 1974, and 1980 (I don't know exactly when the freeway was completed) for the portions that run through Oakland County.

(Message edited by Dannaroo on July 30, 2007)

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 230
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, these pictures are the (stuff)! I'm still lookin' at em! Kudos to Hornwrecker for the input! that pic of I-94 with Woodward, Cass, 2nd, and 3rd was my top favourite pic, I saved it on the computer at work. I'd love 2 see Ford look like that today (with a transit line in the middle like the Dan Ryan Expressway in Chicago!).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.