Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Michael G.'s « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Meeshba
Username: Meeshba

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone ever experience some of the blues played at a tiny bar called Michael G's in Hamtramck on Wed. nights? The location now is Mephisto's, but back then the bar was housed on the main floor with paintings of nude ladies on the wall. Quite the "old man" sort of place. The musicians would move the pool table to set-up, there was no stage. The music was fantastic....frequently acts that were touring in detroit would show up and jam with locals...

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I belive the bar was on the corner of buffalo and conant. I agree the entertainment was wonderful. Mike Gajewski was the owner. He was also an accomplished pool player. He was injured when someone attempted to blow his car up with a car bomb. He survived however. I first met him at the Port bar in Hamtramck in the 60's. At the time it was located at the corner of holbrook and joe campau. I thought I could shoot pool but he taught me a few lessons.

Meeshba
Username: Meeshba

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do remember the reference to Mr. Gajewski's injury but wasnt sure if it was true, also had something to do with an establishment on eight mile near I-75 I believe?

The location I went to was on Florian, just before Jos Compau. The cliental that showed up were quite the cast of characters, it somehow enhanced the music.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe you are correct. The location on Florian may have been the forerunner. Do you recall the Port bar, blue goose or blue jay?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.