Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Newcomer/Detroit Blog guy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Meeshba
Username: Meeshba

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I'm new to this forum and felt compelled to express my gratitude for this site. I moved from the metro detroit area back in 2004 for various reasons that resulted two years in northern Kentucky, than the last year, and probably planted for awhile in St. Louis, Mo.

Periodically I get very homesick and meander through the web oh happenings in Detroit. (The world series match-up was really hellishly difficult!) Recently I discovered the Detroitblog.org sight and was blown away by the insight and pictures. I naively/arrogantly tried to determine who the author was and was led to this forum.

It is comforting to know there is a online community out there that loves the "ruins" of Detroit as much as I do. I grew up in the burbs but later lived in different parts of the city as a younger adult. I harbored and expressed pinings for the rest of the burbs to see the gems and treasures that already existed throughout the city of Detroit instead of continuing on the maddening path of further urbanizing of Southfield & Troy, coupled with suburban sprawl beyond the Jesus sign on I-75.

DetroitBlog guy struck a heart-chord in me with his revealing the stories behind the structures and neighborhoods I've happily wandered around and pondered their history and what they could be now. I generally don't read blogs, but read the entire site.

Thank you Detroitblog guy whoever you are.

Meeshba

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 463
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really want to know who he is... i don't know why... maybe just to talk to him and shit. i really respect his insight and writing. i've come close to meeting him twice...

(1) when he wrote about "detroit grown" a couple of weeks ago. a friend of mine runs parts of their operations... but no dice... she was't interviewed. i'd have to have her introduce me to the ladies pictured and then be a creepy stalker...

(2) once i was in the train station and was upstairs. while there, some friends downstairs ran into a "white male with a Detroit publication press pass who had a blog" taking a break from a downtown event... high chance that it was him...

Meeshba

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I hear you.

I thought that somehow I could e-mail him for the same reasons as you.

I thought he would be easily revealed when he started covering real people. Maybe they had to sign some sort of waiver of secrecy....?

His site is multi-faceted. I revel that he is showing what is available in our diverse city and exposing how the problems manifested, along with troubles with current city services .

Detroit, isnt exclusive to high crime, drug related offenses or corrupt government. Other cities struggle with the same problems...

Though, it was interesting exploring Cincinnati, I shared the areas I was in with local friends, than was admonished on exposing my self to a high crime area.

Well, how was I supposed to know..the buildings where occupied with businesses and the grounds maintained..and, uh...I didnt see any tranny hookers about..(the area was similar to Arden Park/Woodward circa 1998)

Or, the city of East St. Louis.....unbelievable. Ruins that are occupied. A downtown area that has permanent stop signs to replace the non-functioning street signals...people openly mainlining on the street in broad daylight..piles and piles of garbage..

Or North St. Louis, that is entirely different than South St. Louis, same city, not the same services or equality.

Michigan
Username: Michigan

Post Number: 831
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ONe night I was in East St Louis with friends who lived there. We had just parked our car and were walkint to a club when shots rang out in the park we were walking along. My friends bolted across the street, once across I kept going but my friends stopped. They told me not to worry no one would be shooting at us on that side of the street. It freaked me out.

Meeshba

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East St. Louis freaked me out, too. I was advised to avoid it completely. I was stuck on pre-bridge traffic attempting to cross the Mississippi and decided to take another bridge and cut through East St. Louis. I didnt think it could be that bad. East St. Louis is like a 3rd World country. There were no signs indicating the entrance to the bridge just people hanging out on the sidewalks enjoying illegal substances. It was like driving through a movie set of drug using scene. I just followed missouri license plates heading towards the river and found the bridge.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 295
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of like Detroit and East Detroit.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^What? There's an East Detroit? I sure haven't heard about it.

Please tell(j/k).

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born and raised in South Detroit.

Meeshba

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nah, East St. Louis isnt like anything I've ever seen in Detroit. It is far worse. More like a tiny third world country in the USA. Even with Detroit's/State of Michigan current economic challenges it doesnt compare. (I do admit it was eerie seeing all the closed family -owned restaurants in Manistique, Michigan over the 4rth of July week coupled with vacancy signs in Traverse City the weekend after...)

It is a small city thus the reason why it doesnt garner as much national attention as Detroit. (Though I've been told it is a "poster child" for urban planners along with Camden, NJ) It's story is similar to Detroit, but much more devastating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E ast_St._Louis,_Illinois

Meeshba

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Visuals.

http://www.builtstlouis.net/ea ststlouis/eaststl00.html

Meeshba

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.citymuseum.org/home .asp

This is my favorite place in St. Louis.

How cool would it be to do something like this in Detroit?

Ferndaleguy76
Username: Ferndaleguy76

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cute, Focusonthed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.