Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A Cheap Night Out « Previous Next »
Archive through July 29, 2007Pam30 07-29-07  2:39 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lola's in Harmonie Park is a good value and has great food/drink, plus live jazz. The pianist on Saturdays rocks my socks

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 294
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I drove by there yesterday around 5pm and I thought I saw an "open" sign.

Sadly, I think the sign has said "OPEN" every time I've tried to visit. Sigh. Was there more than one car out front? That would be a good sign.

I suppose the key is to call and find out, though.

(Message edited by dds on July 29, 2007)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2170
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Was there more than one car out front? That would be a good sign.

I didn't notice, sorry.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5527
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a really fun Cheapo Pub Stumble, I recommend the Michigan - Martin area, with a bunch of REAL neighborhood bars where you find out quickly if your friends are bar-flies or bar snobs.

Detroitfan
Username: Detroitfan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you like mussels I suggest the Cadieux Cafe. Food is reasonable and you can get in a few games of feather bowling.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadieux Cafe is ALL tourists from the suburbs amazed that they are in Detroit. I was there a few months ago and we decided it was off our list.

The Zeitgeist was cool. It was ultra funky.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3401
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Tourists" haha.

Bear in mind that it is a Belgian enclave and a lot of long-lost former Detroiters who happen to be Belgian (and their friends) go back there.

With its location, plenty of Grosse Pointers are still reasonably within its neighborhood.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9701
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ultra Funky.

Yet another decent band name...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this thread is hilarious. haven't really seen one step above dive yet. you want cheap drinks: go to jumbo's in the cass corridor. good entertainment for less: go to nancy whiskey's in north corktown. cheap eats: i love the $1 taco specials at taqueria lupita's. or, you could go to miley and miley's shrimp hut and get a bucket. surprisingly good.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cadieux Cafe is ALL tourists from the suburbs amazed that they are in Detroit. I was there a few months ago and we decided it was off our list."

Those bastards, how dare they spend their money in the city and help its economy.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Lola's with all my heart, but it's no cheap night out. Inexpensive, yes. For cheap, go to McCarthy's on Fort street across from the Starvation Army, but watch out for rats.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love McCarthy's on Fort St and also Corktown Tavern on Michigan Avenue

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Cadieux Cafe is ALL tourists from the suburbs amazed that they are in Detroit."

Really? I live nearby (EEV) and I'm always seeing neighborhood regulars in there. Maybe it's because the crowd is whiter than most in Detroit, and a lot of college-age Grosse Pointers aren't scared of it.
I was gonna suggest McCarthy's too. So downscale it's almost creepy.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1951
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^That would be the same for BluePointe and Pointe BBQ.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And YPL

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 943
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no hamtramck choices discussed?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High Noon? Nikkis?

Diehard

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's also that string of blue-collar bars along Harper near Cadieux. You could start at the Firewater, then work your way through the First Place to the Guilford, Nikki's, Cal's and end up at Elam's. They're all walking distance, and all a little different. Some are big with cops and firefighters, some with softball teams. But you won't find any snobs, velvet ropes or cover charges (except further west at the I-Rock - and that's a whole 'nuther story).

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3404
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point, Diehard. Do you know what that I-Rock is all about? I've only driven past there and seen a lot of questionable-looking bands unloading there stuff.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2314
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozi, the last time I was in McCarthy's, there was a massive rat in there, and he wasn't a bit afraid of any of us. I don't mind funky, and I don't mind grimy, I didn't even mind the bras hanging from the ceiling, but brazen rodents freak me out.

Don't eat there, just drink. From a bottle.

Steelworker, a couple of Hamtramck places have been mentioned.

Star Bar on Michigan.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arcade Bar on Michigan, then next door for Lafayette or American coney island.

Jz_detroit
Username: Jz_detroit

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone been to LJ's on Michigan Ave next door to Slow's???? That is a great hole in the wall.

Kayt
Username: Kayt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few times... provides me with the sustenance necessary to brave Slow's. Slow's food is damn good, after all. I'm especially a fan of the Great Kings of Africa series of beer mirrors on the wall. Funny how I haven't seen those in Ann Arbor before.

Diehard

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw

The I-Rock is a rock club that refuses to admit it's not 1987 anymore. They still have the big hair, Motley Crue posters, signed guitars, neon, dancing cages, all that stuff. Most of the bands in there are more modern (a lot of nu-metal), but they occasionally get a former-big-name act from the '80s that will pack the place. It's a trip if you're into that kind of thing.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never go to Geneva's the same night there is a concert at Irock.

Trust me.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1335
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just went to Andrews on the corner of Atwater and Jos Campau near, east Riverfront near River Place. They had very very cheap food. There used to be dollar beers at the Atwater Block Brewery. Its a nice Micro Brewery on Jos Campau. if they still have that I would hit that up. I think that it was on Mondays...

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one mentioned cutters in the eastern market you can get a beer, burger and fries for dirt cheap

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

susanarosa! Genevas rocks! I miss Knot head Mary. Did you know her? She worked there for about 35 years.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam: Although I have not confirmed this, I ran into someone who frequently goes there, and he told me that Kovac's is only open for lunch rush on the weekdays, now. Supposedly, they close around 3:30ish and are not open for the afternoon shift change.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams recommends Michigan & Martin area, and I'll second that. The place has fallen far from the glory days, but there are still bars on the corners IN the neighborhood (think "Junior, run down the block to the bar and tell your father to come before his dinner gets cold"). Try Stempien's at Martin and Parkwood.

Whisper128
Username: Whisper128

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two budget restaurants that I love:

1. Lupitas, Mexicantown
2. Dona Lolas, Puerto Rican/South American dishes, southwest Detroit

Enjoy. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.