Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Maxies Deli « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The deli, which sits on Michigan ave. in, if my memory serves me correctly, the vicinity of old Tiger Stadium. It currently sits vacant. The restaurant was owned and operated by Max Silk, a figure in Detroit history. I first learned of Max Silk in a 1994 magazine article in a Detroit magazine with an article on Paul Kavieff writing his book about the Purple Gang. Max had a record for hijacking a truck of bootleg liquor during prohibition. Paul Kavieff interviewed Max Silk extensively to obtain info on the Purple Gang. The article rumored that Purple Harry Keywell stopped in when visiting from Florida. Wish I would have made an effort to visit the place before Max died in 1996. He turned out to be pillar in the community. I had breakfast at the deli about 5 years ago and talked to a waitress about Max, whos son sat at a table near mine. Does anyone happen to know if the place is going to reopen?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 475
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has been closed for quite a while and I drive by and live one block south of it. About a year ago I saw people scrubbing equipment and thought it might reopen. Unfortunately I think that equipment was taken out for use somewhere else. It has been for sale or lease since I moved back to detroit from Vermont almost 3 and a half years ago.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brooklyn Street Grill is the original Maxies

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1866
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On a pleasant day, we would take the time to walk from the Guardian Building, stop and have lunch with Max, might even see a few innings of a Tiger game,and then walk back to the Guardian Building.
Well worth sacrificing a few "billable hours".

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5473
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, imagine all the billable hours you've given away with 1,866 quality posts on The Forum.
Many thanks. Your counsel is always appreciated with usual and customary fees paid when we've needed you.

Ah, Maxies. What a breakfast.

jjaba, On the Corner.

ps. jjaba took his girlfriend high up in Sec. 24 at Briggs Stadium for a day-game. He kissed her on the strikes, she kissed him on the balls. It was nice Spring Day with 1,500 paid.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 127
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba- have you ever thought about writing a book of your memories of Detroit? You have a lot of great stories and great memories, and I would LOVE to just have a collection of them. If not for us then for future generations.

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chapter One- On the Dexter Bus...
Chapter Two- On the Dexter Bus...
Chapter Three- She kissed me on the balls..
Chapter Four- On the Dexter Bus...
Chapter Five- She kissed me on the balls..
Chapter Six- She kissed me on the balls..

OAOA

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had it listed for sale for about 2 years. The heirs are in no hurry to sell it, so they're asking $500K if I remember correctly. Like everyone else, they're probably waiting until something happens with Tiger Stadium. I'm not sure what happened to the listing after our office closed. Possibly listed by O'Connor Realty now.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1869
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to being his lawyer, I am jjaba's publicist. Gotta admit, this guy REALLY knows this old town. A Jewish Doc Green, Iffy the Dopester,Edgar Guest,and Hal Youngblood all rolled into one. (Just to mention a few)
And it all started with a Detroit public school education. Only in America, only in the D. Only on the West side.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5476
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a lotta people konw that Dexter Bussey was named for jjaba's beloved Dexter bus. But, think about it.

jjaba tells it like it tis.
No books, you just have to read jjaba on The Forum for the real pearls. Lowell doesn't sell peanuts on jjaba's downtown corner and jjaba don't write books. We have an agreement written iron clad by The Rock.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A picture of Maxies's, from my picture tour of Tiger Stadium. This picture was taken in August 2006.

Maxie's

http://picasaweb.google.com/CPics710/TigerStadiumAugust122006/photo#5081716221208545810

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did any of you ever meet Max and did he ever talk about his memories of prohibition?

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to Maxie's once with some friends and the waitress blurted out about Max, "He's such a fucker!"

Jjaba

Post Number: 5478
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman710, classic photo. Thank.

Ordinary, thanks. Maxine was always down when she had to endure the same name as the boss. And to top that, she endured the nastiest bathrooms in Detroit. That's a pretty busy attraction around there as you can imagine.

jjaba, at the Corktown Inn and praying to Father Kern up on Trumbull.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.