Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Help ... Have Family Coming To Visit In 2 Weeks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Originally from NYC and have been here for a year. My family is coming to visit the weekend of 8/9/07. Is there anything special going on that weekend? What else should we go see and do? thanks!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out Carival on Hart Plaza for one.

http://www.myccco.com/carival. htm

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any kids? Make sure you visit Puppet Art on Saturday. My 8-year old niece is visiting next weekend and I'm taking her to the show.

http://www.puppetart.org/

Nyct

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is there a large carribean community here in the D?

Nyct

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no kids yet ... one on the way for me. that puppet show still looks awesome! we might have to check it out. thanks spidergirl.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City events
http://www.downtowndetroit.org /ddp/calendar.htm

Enjoy

Tetsua

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A significant amount, though we're not centralized like in Brooklyn, or Jamaica, Queens.

Nyct

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool ... the caribbean day parade on eastern parkway in BKLYN is fantastic. if it's anything like that i'll probably check it out. i do my best to blend in with my red hair!

Tetsua

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the past they've done the parade down Woodward, generally on Saturday morning. The whole weekend is a pretty good time.

By the way, the wife hates the parade in Brooklyn now. She says there's always an out burst of violence, so she blocked me from ever going.

Nyct

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every now and then something happens ... there was a murder a couple of years ago. no reason to miss out on it tho. man i miss eating beef patties and coco bread. where can i get some here?

Tetsua

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a new Jamaican restaurant on Mt Elliot just off Jefferson ave (Downtown area). On the NW side all you have to do is cruise down 6 mile, and there's a Jamaican restaurant every couple of blocks or so. There's a pretty good one on 7 mile and Southfield, you can't miss the color scheme on the build.

I was just thinking, a Golden Crust (or something similar) would be nice on Woodward.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4479
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nytc there is also a small Jamiacan restaurant off of W 7 Mile near the Southfield E way, called "Jamaica, Jamaica"

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2372
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean the one near 7 mile and southfield that Tetsua spoke of in the post directly above yours?

Nyct

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

golden crust rules. thanks for the info. i work downtown so i'll be sure to get to the one on mt. elliot.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4481
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my bad I didnt see that...but yeah that is the place....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.