Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Who was (or is) your favorite Detroit DJ? » Archive through July 26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've had a lot of memorable radio DJs in this area for as long as I can remember.
From Fred Wolfe, Lee Alan to Ernie Durham and Martha Jean the Queen, Detroit has been blessed with some great voices over the airwaves.
Who was your favorite and why?

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 503
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo was unique, spacy and eccentric. Then there was Butterball Jr. on WCHB in the 70's.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy T and T.J. - The Troublesome Juvenile!

"Think fast, time for the Rap Blast"

Ghetto_butterfly
Username: Ghetto_butterfly

Post Number: 731
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DJ Detroitdennis - Dennis Meyer

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE 'ELECTRIFYING MOJO'

'MARVELOUS MARV'.

DERRICK MAY AKA 'MAYDAY' Deep Space Six Show.

JEFF MILLS AKA THE 'WIZARD'.

'MASON' IN THE MORNING.

ROSE TAYLOR AKA 'THE ROSE' ON WJZZ.

CYLE LAMONT ON 102.7 WLBS

blksoul-atcha!

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J.P. McCarthy was in a league of his own.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo, Mike Halloran,
Liz Copeland

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked all the WABX Air Aces especially Dave Dixon, Dan Carlysle, Jerry Goodwin, Jerry Lubin and "Righteous" (Bob) Rudnick. Why? Because they were new, inventive and revolutionary.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2280
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozi, you beat me to it. Jerry Lubin, my all time favorite. I had "Lunch with Lubin" every day for years.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Dahl.

Kville
Username: Kville

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lee Alan and his horn. Remember the song he made about it back about 1963? I still have it on tape.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 890
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Hunter of CKLW. If they were going to cast a model of the perfect Bill Drake jock, it would be Hunter. My idol when I was a squeaky voiced college kid trying to make it in radio.....

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Famous Coachman--he never shut up, talking over intros, instrumentals and endings but I learned about a lot of great blues, and was always entertained

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 727
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin Seymour

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

juan atkins ... nasty!

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2882
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J.P. McCarthy, David Newman and Mark Scott.

J.P. you could listen to and enjoy without letting it drive you insane like the prattle that we have to put up with D.J.'s nowadays.

David Newman and Mark Scott made you think and brought up a number of topics that you didn't catch anywhere else.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carl Craig. He hosted this show "Detroit Technology" on 89X for awhile that was pretty amazing!

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all due respect, are people like J.P McCarthy and Mark Scott really dj's? Is there a difference between a record spinner and a radio show host/personality? I think you have to look at the setup of their show.I was under the impression that to be a dj you had to have music on your show. But im no expert.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quote from a Detroit DJ

"This is the "Rose" in full bloom.
Loved her on WJZZ

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory in the Morning (OK, shameless plug from my radio days at WQBH)

Martha Jean the Queen (I was truly fortunate to have worked with her, a true legend)

Electrifying Mojo (the last vestige of what radio used to be all about - theater of the mind)

Honorable mentions: The whole CKLW "Big 8" crew from back in the day, Mason, Doc Larry Elliot, Kris McClendon (RIP), Jay Butler, Claude "Sir Yocker" Young

(Message edited by mallory on July 26, 2007)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

darren revell (big sonic heaven)

theresa hill (DPS after school jams)

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first DJ I listened to a lot was a latter day Air Ace, Mark Parenteau. He was only here a few years, but he opened my ears to a lot of great music. The earlier Air Aces were probably the best, but I wasn't quite ready for that stuff yet.

Ronnie Legg at CJOM just for his voice - Yosemite Sam after drinking a bottle of Drano.

Another obscure DJ was Mr. B "with sounds sweet as a honeybee", who played an old-school R&B show on WDET back in the 70's.

Steve Dahl ws a jackass. And I hope to God nobody mentions Arthur Penhallow!

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosetta Hines when she was on WJZZ and Brent Wilson in the old days late nights on WWWW.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 584
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody mentioned Lisa Lisa from 96.3 jams and a few other places. She was always my least favorite, so I'm glad to not see her on here.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4005
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Electronic Music DJ: T Linder

Radio DJ: Electrifying Mojo & Peter Werbe

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Steve Dahl ws a jackass."

Yeah sure he was. Prior to him every other DJ in Detroit was mundane and uninteresting. Babbling nonsense. Then again that would appeal to some folks. Much of what he did was copied after he left. He knew how to keep people listening, he knew how to get people involved. These radio people nowadays are boring and pointless.

Like the two popular ones in the morning here, they get on one topic and beat it into oblivion. Can't listen.

He sucked so bad he went to Chicago and was wildly successful there too. Incidently Chicago is miles ahead of this place from an urban development standpoint.

His "Death to Disco" night alone is a testament to his effectiveness. What other DJ has done anything like that?

I remember when he left, afterwards here came "Baaaby" and "Maauui" every 3 minutes.. There was nothing on the radio anymore. And really hasn't been since.

He alone put WABX on the "map". When he left it was the beginning of the end of it.

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didnt see anyone mention Mickey Shorr. I was on his Dance Party show in 1958 on WXYZ Sat am. Any of his stores still around Woodward Ave? Also didnt see Tom Clay or Jack The Bellboy's name. My favorite still-Lee Allen. He used to sign off with a Sinatra song every nite. Anyone remember the name of the song?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, what the hell does a DJ have to to with urban development? Nothing, that's what.

Death to Disco night was a fiasco. It turned into a near-riot and the field was ruined. The White Sox had to forfeit the second game of the double-header that night because of that lame-headed stunt. Like I said, jackass. Chicago can have him.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alice Cooper gets a nod for play Dylan's "Stuck inside of Mobile" last night. In high school, I enjoyed Howard Stern on W4.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Death to Disco night was a fiasco."

Maybe in your eyes.

Quote: "It turned into a near-riot and the field was ruined."

Can't buy that kind of publicity.

Quote: "The White Sox had to forfeit the second game of the double-header that night"

Windfall.

Quote: "Like I said, jackass. Chicago can have him"

More of the same attitude that keeps Detroit where it is.