Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Demo at WSU « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 818
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. I didn't realize they started tearing down the vacant building on Forest at Woodward. About time they tore that schitt down!

Watched the wrecking ball take down a few walls before I went on my way today.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If its not the Church's Chicken that's getting torn down, then I'm pretty disappointed. What was wrong with that old structure at the NW corner? This will make a huge gap along the north side of forest all the way to Woodward...primed for development. Does Wayne own a bunch of lots there? Will it be more housing?

To the north of that site will be the location of a new restaurant (from the Fishbones owner).

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my understanding, the old Forest Apartment Tower will not be replaced with anything right away, rather a surface parking lot. However, with Wayne's ambitious future plan, one would believe that in order to further their goals, this property would be of high profile.

I actually like the massing of the building in that area. It makes for a closed-in urban streetscape but is still shorter than the iconic Old Main a block or 2 away.

There's a lot of potential for Forest Avenue and I think with time, we'll see urbanesque improvements, but for now, we'll have to settle for a transition period...which admittedly will probably be a little slower than what we'd hope for for the time being.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1708
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say tear down Old Main.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3839
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say that if Ray took the English Class that caused him pain over again, he would have a better time and his bad feelings about the building would vanish.
Of course, I have no idea if English Classes are still held in Old Main, but it was my favorite building from Freshman Year.
(Had a couple non-academic adventures on one of those fire escapes...)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 820
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say tear down Old Main.

Say wha-?

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The renovation is being started on the gallery building behind the Church's Chicken.....George N'Namdi has moved his gallery temporarily in the space that used to be Intermezzo. It originally was his gallery back in the early 80's

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 822
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the building behind Church's was an auto-repair shop?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnsfoto nailed it, rawk. That English instructor (hell, was a kid doing post grad work) was the most miserable mf I ever crossed paths with.

But I think the building's ugly, anyway, with all those unmatched additions over the last 100 years.

(Message edited by Ray1936 on July 28, 2007)

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rhymeswithrawk....what building are you talking about?

Forest Apartments on Forest @ CASS or the building right at the corner of Forest and WOODWARD, next to American Masala...name eludes me now.

please clarify

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the "front" entrance (is it the cass entrance?) is majestic inside... beautiful... i always entered off of hancock to that "modern" basement area with the grad studios... didn't realize how cool parts of the building were until i was flyering for an art opening one time last year...

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If its not the Church's Chicken that's getting torn down, then I'm pretty disappointed."

Geez, leave the Fast Food Restaurants alone.

If you don't like those locations, don't bother them. I think they're pretty prime overall for Fast Food Restaurants. Then if someone threatened to close and Demolish the Lafayette/American, some of your big bulgy butts will be the one to organize all the Coney Fans in the City and have a thousand man March.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

urbanize... your comparison is not very well constructed... though their food choices are basically the same un healthy crap that we all love (churches, mcdonalds, lafayette, american) the coneys downtown are completely urban in aesthetic nature. NO drive through, NO parking, part of a mixed use block, tightly packed and dense. beautiful... a fast food drive through on the other hand, is suburban, and does NOT belong on detroit's greatest street. especially just miles from downtown...

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"beautiful... a fast food drive through on the other hand, is suburban, and does NOT belong on detroit's greatest street. especially just miles from downtown..."

Oh wow, now restaurants are Suburban. I guess Gas Stations and Liquor Stores will be suburban next, right?

The Coney Islands are no better than the rest of them. The owners could really care less about history, Urban aesthetic and Food Quality. They're just restaurants. You're just making a big double standard if you disagree.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.