Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bloomfield Hill Bald Eagle? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 840
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw a bald eagle today at Woodward/ Long Lake. It was just sitting on top of a tree, but it was definitely a baldy

Mkhopper
Username: Mkhopper

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw one a few years ago riding through Lola Valley park (in Redford).

Also saw a coyote in the same area just the other day as well. Seems wildlife is doing just fine in suburban areas.

(Message edited by mkhopper on July 26, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow awesome Rb. I managed to snap a shot of this guy last fall.

What a magnificent creature!

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See them in the Pointes every now and again.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The population of bald eagles is definitely on the rise, and it's not too unusual to see them these days. As for Wile E. Coyote, their population seems to be spreading quite fast! They are often sighted in urban areas, and they are heard even more often than they are seen.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of your friend the coyote...

http://www.torinfo.com/justfor laughs/coyote_v_acme.html

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents live at Hickory Grove and Telegraph. Coyote attacked and killed their little 10 lb dog 2 weeks ago.

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peche Island is home to quite a few bald eagles.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2738
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Bald Eagle has been officially removed from the U.S. federal government's list of endangered species. :-)

Crystal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The graph below shows the rise of the bald eagle population in the last forty years.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's so cool! I want to see one! I see deer and coyote behind Lowe's in westland quite frequently when I work the morning shift, but I had no idea this area was home to Baldies!

neat!

Birdwoman
Username: Birdwoman

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are about four pairs of eagles nesting annually in Wayne County.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 756
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The osprey population is on the rise too. They have platforms for them in Wildwing Lake at Kensington so they can have additional places to nest.

And here BP corporation wants to pollute the hell out of Lake Michigan with their refinery expansion, makes me sick (semi-related off topic rant).

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big birds rule!

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a lot of foxes and hawks, and even one or two coyotes, by my parent's house near Pine Lake.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Friday, August 03, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked at the Detroit Zoo there was one bald eagle. Then one day there were two. Apparently a random eagle had honed in on this small habitat, landed, and never left. So, you can see the new duo perched side-by-side in the middle of the park, by the Arctic, apparently best pals.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 118
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That has to be the single funniest story I've heard in a long time.

Crystal

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, August 04, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Zoo's two eagles cannot fly. I think the stories of their injuries, and why they cannot be released, are posted outside their exhibit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.