Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Electrifying MOJO « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This dude surely deserves his own thread. Anyone know anything about his current doings/whereabouts? How bout any recordings of the MFA?

Anyways, during the 80's I lived near Denby HS. Mojo was a huge part of mine, & my friends lives. He seemed to bring everybody together, and radio was cool again. There's been nothing like him since.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you do a search of him on the internet it will yield some info. I read the reason he moved around so much was because he would talk too much, and play not enough music. This created friction with the station mgt I guess.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T he_Electrifying_Mojo

It pretty much says it all.

It does mention that there was an XM show slated to air in 2006- any idea on what happened to this?

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 393
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i sure wish someone had a recording of him on the station.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didnt he air on WLBS (102.7fm) as well? who was it i listened to who told everyone (around 11pm) to turn on your porch light or to flash your headlights if you were in your car. he went on to say that if you were in bed it was permissible to dance on your back...

i could have SWORN it was Mojo, unless i was listening to WJLB at that time...

i remember in 10th grade hearing the B-52s for the first time on his show (whatEVER station it was). ive got all of their cds now and am introducing my 6yr old daughter to the likes of Planet Clare and Rock Lobster...

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friends and I used to love Mojo. He would play Prince albums in their entirety. We couldn't believe it because some of the songs on the purple ones albums we didn't think could be played on the air.

I also remember him playing the B-52s, as well as Rick James, Kraft Werk, and Grace Jones. He was great to listen to because you didn't know what cool music who he was going to introduce. He had excellent taste in music.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Will the members of the Midnight Funk Association please rise. Please go to your porch light and turn it on for the next hour to show us your solidarity. If you're in your car please honk your horn and flash your lights, wherever you are. If you're in bed, get ready to dance on your back, in Technicolor. And get ready for the MFA. The word is... Don't say no, say triple-whammy-whoa. Hold on tight, don't let go. Whenever you feel like you're nearing the end of your rope, don't slide off. Tie a knot. Keep hanging, keep remembering, that it ain't nobody bad like you. This session of the International Midnight Funk Association is being called to order. Electrifying Mojo presiding. May the Funk be with you. Always...

Jrvass

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to have a recording of him!

James

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is how I remember a typical MOJO set on WGPR 105.5FM starting at 9:00pm M-Sat.

Intro.....

10 Minutes landing of 'THE MOTHERSHIP'

'Knee Deep' Parliment Funkadelic (15:min)

'Never by Texas From A Cowboy' Brides of Funkenstien (15:min)

'Dance Floor' Zapp (10:41min)

'Controversy' Prince (7:14min)
'Private Joy' Prince (4:25min)
'Annie Christian' Prince (4:21min)

Comercial...........(TV 62 advertisement)
Back from break

'Mesopotamia' B-52's 12inch version (7:52min)
'Lies' Thompson Twins (5:21min)

'Planet Rock' Soul Sonic Force (7:14min)
'Perfect Beat' Soul Sonic Force (5:15min)
'Play at your Own Risk' Planet Patrol (4:31)

'Skizoid' Number of Names (5:15min)
'Frenquency 7' Vasage (4:23min)
'Alley's of the Mind' Cybotron (4:25min)

'Girls just want to have fun' Cindy Lauper (7:21)
'Freeze Frame' J Giles Band (5:22min)
'

Comericial.....M&M Shrimp Shack......

Back from break......

Quick slowdown....

'Sailing' Christopher Cross (4:21min)
'Do me Baby' Prince (7:41min)

Battle of the Bands......

Ohio Players vs. Cameo (1:hr) (I'll take the Ohio Players on this night!)

Comericial.....

THE MIDNIGHT FUNK ASSOCIATION......(1:30hr)

Comericial....Henry's Palace Night Lounge

after break.....

Battle of the Band Part II....

Gap Band vs. The Time.....(1:hr)

End

blksoul-atcha!

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul_x

I am in awe... That was fantastic, thanks for the recollection. I worked at GPR after he left, but many of the people there worked with him back in the day. One time when he was at HYT, I went with some of his former co-workers to see him do his thing. After the show, we all piled into his Lincoln Continental (BIG boat) and drove downtown to an all night diner. He was screaming down the Lodge half asleep. Scary but absolutely great memories.

Ltdave, I can't recall if he was ever at LBS. I think his resume was WGPR, WJLB, WHYT, WMXD (in that order) and then he went to WTWR in Monroe for a short while.

It's a shame how he got screwwed at JLB. They hired him away from GPR with big money to help establish themselves as the BIG dog in urban radio. After he brought them the street cred they needed, his contract was not renewed. He made WJLB. Fact.

"If the journey of a thousand miles is to begin, it begins with the first step." Classic Mojo.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

apparently he's different from "Mojo in the Morning?"

Mallory

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, yeah. The current Mojo should be whipped with a Whammy Cloth for using the name.

Will the real Charles Johnson please stand up?

Applesauce

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow(blksoul), great recall on the complete prog!

Yeah, that's the way it went down. I distinctly remember hearing my 1st Prince tune on the Mojo show. We always had it on when we partied late in the "D". Also, I read somewhere that he was currently negotiating a deal to create his own show on XM! Man, I hope so, the motorbabies need the real Mojo back!

ck these links:

http://www.detroitradioflashba cks.net/retroreplay/anotherdrf 050329.html

http://www.detroitradioflashba cks.net/retroreplay2/anotherdr f051216.html

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSX - Proper.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 'Mallory', 'Applesauce', and even 'Sharmaal'! :-)

I was a Huge fan of MOJO__I even had a 'MFA' card(Midnight Funk Association). I remember myself and a few friends going down to the Studio on E.Jefferson and shouting for MOJO to let us in the Studio...I was probably around 14 years old. He personally greeted us outside and handed us all kind of goodies. I don't know much about his personal life, but I know the 'Electrifying One' will always be alright with me.

I could kick myself for not holding on to all those 90 Minute TDK tapes I had recorded of the MOJO show.

Keep the memories coming....

blksoul-atcha!

Applesauce

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I've got a load of those TDK's somewhere too!

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Electric Mojo reached all corners of Detroit. While at WDET with Radios in Motion, we just considered him up there in another league. Have strong memories of his show coming on the air while driving down I-75 and then at McNichols where you can see downtown & the city lit up against Detroit's dark-gray night sky. Some captivating stuff...and he was famous for playing The B-52s. Their first show in Detroit at the Motor City Roller Rink didn't have anybody standing in the back with their arms crossed. It was full participation. The first and only time I've ever seen that at any show.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1377
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"and he was famous for playing The B-52s. "

Yes! I loved those times when we where all living in our own private Idaho.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, never thought the B-52s would go anywhere. "Rock Lobster" came out while the hard punk sound was still going strong, so when I first heard it I thought it was just too weird.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 741
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BSX..way to break that down. Those were great days for radio in Detroit.

I remember he wrote a book a while back..don't know what the subject of it was.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother and I used to go to our dad's den at night and sit by the stereo, freaking out at the stuff he played, his supercool delivery, unlike anything I'd ever heard before (or since). I'd love to hear some broadcast recordings now.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 504
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the memories from this thread. As a young man, Mojo was a strong musical influence on me and my friends. His show was like a party.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Applesauce, you deserve to be in the Hall of Fame for this post. I still have my "Midnight Funk Association" card. I never thought about it before, but after reading the Wiki entry that someone linked to, I can see how Mojo probably did plant the seeds of Detroit Techno. I don't know how many of you remember in the summer of 1982 when he was playing A.E.I.O.U. by EBN-OZN over & over and the next thing you know he is throwing in P-Funk. He had the best taste in music and he didn't care if anyone thought it was cool or not. I have never come across another DJ who could pull it off like Mojo.

Blksoul_x

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Soomka1' quoted....

quote:

I don't know how many of you remember in the summer of 1982 when he was playing A.E.I.O.U. by EBN-OZN

'Soomka1', Yes, MOJO was infamous of repeatedly playing a track over and over! I recall him playing,'Out come the Freeks' by Was Not Was, for almost 30 minutes one night....

....also, I believe A.E.I.O.U. was by the group Freeeze which featured the brilliant lead vocals of John Rocca....that's some good memories(I'm going to download that cut right now:-))

blksoul-atcha!

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 785
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo wasn't about the playlist, Mojo was about the experience. Hanging out at Belle Isle, listening to entire Parliament Funkadelic albums like "Make my funk the P-Funk" is something we will never forget - even if it was through a cannibis filled haze!

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 954
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can still remember that deep baritone voice like it was yesterday.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blksoul

The way you described it is EXACTLY like I recalled. MOJO used to come down to Cass and hang out with us.

A close friend of mines used to be a part of the cybotron movement. He introduced me to Mojo when they were trying to get some airplay of "Alleys".

I can also say that Mojo is the reason why Prince has such a strong backing here in Detroit. Prince thanked Mojo a lot in the credits on a few of his albums.

Those were the days...

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 550
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best battle of the Bands was Prince vs Michael Jackson, that went on for a few days.

Mojo will definately be missed.

I hope he makes a comeback.

the good rev

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 786
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember that! That was totally awesome :-)

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 53
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote : "I remember he wrote a book a while back..don't know what the subject of it was."

Heres the link to the book...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi dos/tg/detail/-/0963981110/qid =1092098575/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/ 002-1816537-6596014?v=glance&s =books

Abracadabra
Username: Abracadabra

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and heres some hosted recordings I came across...

Interview with Bootsie :
http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/DY/e lectrifying_mojo_bootsy_gettin _live.mp3
Halloween rap :
http://blogfiles.wfmu.org/DY/e lectrifying_mojo_halloween_rap .mp3

Jrvass

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Wow(blksoul), great recall on the complete prog!

Yeah, that's the way it went down. I distinctly remember hearing my 1st Prince tune on the Mojo show. We always had it on when we partied late in the "D". Also, I read somewhere that he was currently negotiating a deal to create his own show on XM! Man, I hope so, the motorbabies need the real Mojo back!

ck these links:

http://www.detroitradioflashba cks.net/retroreplay/anotherdrf 050329.html

http://www.detroitradioflashba cks.net/retroreplay2/anotherdr f051216.html

+++++++++++++++++++++
Applesauce,

Is there another way to get the clips? I click on the link and get nothing.

James

Mallory

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I still have my MFA card, an envelope from the MFA when it was at GPR, AND a ticket stub from one of Mojo's Boblo cruises. And somewhere in my stacks of TDK's (or are they Maxell's?), I have the interview he did with Prince, circe Purple Rain tour. Oh my GAWD! That was probably the highest rated Mojo show in the history of the Mothership.

BIG shout out to the corporate radio a**h*l*s who RUINED radio! Ah, the glory days of radio - BEFORE tight playlists. I spent 24 years in the biz and had to get out. XM would be an excellent home for the Mothership.

Charles Johnson, where are you?

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard about 4 (?) years ago, Mojo was living in the New Center area and doing some type of audio production work.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5621
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mojo was truly an icon in Detroit radio. Not only did we all tune in to hear what new music he was going to break on us, but he also kept us comfortable with his smooth free from format. Those were the days when we listened to a DJ for their musical knowledge. It's funny to hear how many people remember which radio stations he went to because we all followed him.

To me, ever since WDET switched formats and a bulk of their musical people left- there really isn't anyone in our area that we can rely on to play something new and interesting. Tuning into Mojo & the good ol' days at WDET were magical because of the variety they'd play. Those people were knowledgeable, could stitch all sorts of polar opposite genres of music together and come up with a great musical experience. Where else could one hear Prince followed up by Pink Floyd followed up by Kraftwerk, etc. etc...?

I truly miss the days when we were informed and intrigued by new music brought to us by people who studied music and knew how to deliver it.

Lemme open up a window here and wave my Whammy Cloth to the gods and hope for that to return to the Detroit airwaves someday.

Applesauce

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass -

try copy/paste the entire link.

Applesauce

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen to that Smogboy!

There's absolutely nothing left on the radio that introduces new stuff & certainly no one to show you the way like Mojo did. Before WDET switched I listened to Martin Bandyke and others for guidance to cool new sounds. What/Who do we have now? I tried XM and couldnt hang, now its just me & my pod. If Mojo gets his own XM show I'll certainly try it again. "Dont say no, say "triple whammy-whoa"!

Applesauce

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soomka1,

Thanks for the props. I was talking to a friend the other day when Mojo came up. We both grew up in Detroit during his reign & really were blown away by what he played & his supercool delivery.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when he got his start in ann arbor on radio station...uh I forget...
He had a weekly gig spinnin' the platters at the Blue Frog.

Jrvass

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Applesauce,

That is not the problem. I get the page from the original link (not my copy of your message). But the "player" or whatever under the picture is just a "dot" where a program or player is missing.

I'll try to view the source code of the webpage to see if I can get it directly. Ahh. It is a Apple Quicktime file. More software to install after my harddrive crash!

Applesauce

Post Number: 60
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Jrvass,

you do need Quicktime to play the file.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EBN OZN was the original performers of AEIOU sometimes Y...

ive got it on 12"...

too bad i dont have a turntable anymore...

david

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.