Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » A little east side history « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 728
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from the January 16, 1964 edition of The Northeast Detroiter. Unfortunately, I don't have the first part of the article, but what remains I found fascinating.

"At one time, Houston-Whittier, or the Hessian road, was called Taylor because it led to a tailor shop on the corner of Gratiot. George H. Diegel knew the street well. Over eighty years ago he was passing Johannes Groll's tailor shop just as the angry tailor was chasing out a bunch of squealing pigs.

Diegel's grandfather, Ludwig, came with the first mass immigration of Germans from Neustadt in 1832 when Detroit's population was a little over 2,200. To avoid the plague-ridden city, he moved east of Conner Creek next to Englebert Reichenback on the Hessian road, and they made a joint claim to Andrew Jackson for eighty acres of farmland.

In 1938, for his share of the property Ludwig paid $1.43 to George Forge, tax collector of Hamtramck township.

A frequent caller along the old Hessian and Pumpkin Hook road, Dr. John R. Jones, the village doctor of Leesville, was the first and for quite some time the only doctor around Conner Creek. His trips on horseback often took him ten to fifteen miles from Leesville.

Born in Wexford, Ireland in 1847, educated at the University of Michigan and listed in the Cincinnati Medical Journal, Dr. Jones settled in Leesville and for 40 years served his community.

Old timers speak highly of him. Dr. Jones was a great country doctor, they say, a real pioneer."

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting...I was a paper boy for the Northeast Detroiter from about 1953-1955...used to pick the papers up every week at a lady's house about 6 blocks north of Seven Mile and Hayes.

Pdombr
Username: Pdombr

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother often talked about Conners Creek. Apparently she lived there when she was young. She would talk about the plank sidewalks on Gratiot.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3409
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 237
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good old Northeast Detroiter. Wonder if the archives are still in the office beind Joe Petracca's barber shop on 8 Mile next to Pizza Hut.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.