Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Photo LIII - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This photo is similar to the previous one. I'm not exactly sure where the photographer was standing - I'm guessing the Ambassador Bridge.

The address I have for the Transamerican building is 751 15th Street. Is that correct? Is the building still standing?

For a larger version of the photo, please click here.

Ookpik

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3405
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the photographer is on the bridge between Fort & W Jefferson, looking upstream. Here's a clearer version of the bottom right corner:

The curve of the Union Belt RR roundhouse can be seen at the far right edge. Transamerican had a garage and body shop at 2804 W Jefferson. Their HQ moved around a bit, from Gratiot in the thirties, to 15th in the forties, to Waterman after the war:

1700 Waterman

Across the street from the roundhouse was the Capitol Pipe & Nipple Manufacturing Co. A sign on the backside of their building looks as if it says something like " nipples for all purposes"?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We did some legal work for Transamerica Freight Lines when they were on Waterman. When the building was demolished, a couple of us got my old station wagon and drove over and took the large model of the JOHN BARLUM which was reposing in their building and brought it down to the Dossin Museum where it is located now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.