Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Edsel Turns 50 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw this on the news last night. Couldn't find anything in the News or Freep about it though.

http://www.wxyz.com/content/ne ws/autonews/dreamcruise/defaul t.aspx#top

http://www.edsel50.com/

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two big car club conventions in town this week, the Edsel club at the Dearborn Hyatt and the Corvair club is at the Sterling Inn on Van Dyke in sterling hts. Not auto related, but the National Model Railroad Association is also having their annual convention here in the metro area.
The D has a lot to offer to these groups, and there are always a couple of good-sized conventions each year.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1120
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the (first, last and only) assembly plant for the Edsel located in New Jersey? My cousin in my youth took me to ...... "that's where thy are making the Edsel."

Wkl
Username: Wkl

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had an Edsel when I was a kid. I thought to was cool that you could see the engine when the hood opened toward the front of the car. My dad said when it came time to trade it in, everybody in the dealership had to come out and laugh at it. Kind of "Hey everyone look what this guy is trading in"

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Edsel's in their first (1958) model year were made in both Mercury and Ford factories; the longer wheelbase models, Citation and Corsair, were produced alongside the Mercury products, and the shorter wheelbase models, Pacer and Ranger, were produced alongside the Ford products. There was never a stand-alone Edsel factory devoted solely to Edsel model production; workers making Fords and Mercury's literally had to change parts bins and tools to assemble extra Edsel's once their hourly quota of regular Fords and Mercury's was achieved. As such, the desired quality control of the different Edsel models was difficult to attain for the new make of car. Many Edsel's left the line unfinished, with the extra parts having been put into the trunks, with assembly instructions for the mechanics at the dealerships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E dsel

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correction on my last post--the Edsels are at the Doubletree at Ford and Southfield in Deer-bern

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 894
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Dad brought an Edsel home for a weekend. It had buttons to shift gears, I thought that was so cool. But that car was ugly, man...horsecollar...

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 892
Posted on Friday, July 27, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What dealers switched to Edsel? I remember Race Motors in Ferndale went from a Chrysler/Plymouth store to an Edsel one. Sure upset my dad....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.