Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Area Economic Index Moves In Right Direction « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=200770724012

"The economy in southeast Michigan showed signs of improvement in June, as robust steel production helped push the Detroit Area Business Activity Index to its highest level since last summer.
The index, compiled by Comerica Bank, increased 5 points last month to 105, after hovering around the 98- to 100-point range over the last eight months. It was the highest point total for the Detroit Area Business Activity Index since August 2006 when it was 108."

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2495
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a news item about the Iraqi immigrants slated to arrive here the number of unemployed for the area was quoted as 169,000. I think that's the first time I've seen an actual number translation for the percentages usually quoted. That's *a lot* of people. Imagine sitting in Michigan Stadium knowing that everyone there, plus another 60,000 outside, are all going up against you for the same handful of jobs - that's the Pontiac Silverdome filled two times over.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3497
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, the BLS figures for unemployment are very unreliable for an area such as SE MI. The BLS figures its numbers by the number of those collecting unemployment benefits. Some unemployed haven't received unemployment for years.

The discouraged workers (reported to be probably over 60,000 about five years ago) who are still around are not accounted for. Ditto for those who are way underemployed in very low-pay jobs for lack of anything better.

The BLS figures tend to be around 175,000. However, the actual number could easily be well over 1/4 million. It depends upon in and out migration and the existence of welfare.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw that too John...i'll take it. Better than the alternative.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.