Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The El-Moore and Alex Developments « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Heart of midtown" project website at 2nd and Alexandrine's website has been updated with a new construction timetable. I for one and really excited about this project with new construction modern lofts coming to Midtown, at 5 stories it will be quite a noticeable addition to the midtown skyline (the same height as Willy's)

http://heartofmidtown.com/

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived kitty corner from there for a year...about a year ago.

It is an interesting project. They are using the vacant land next to the historic and ornate building to build a new building. The primary reason? The building is too tall to redevelop without an elevator, and it is too small to warrant an elevator on its own. (Or this is what I was told a year ago.)

Here are a couple of links about it:

http://girl-in-the-d.blogspot. com/2007/04/antique-chairs-and -sideboards-and-tubs.html
http://broderickdweller.blogsp ot.com/2005/11/el-moore.html

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 196
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It'll never get built.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 591
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why do you say that...in richmond?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3344
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very intriguing projects. Can't wait for that rehab.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always loved the El Moore building.
I'm glad it being considered for updating.
However....will those residents shop at Tomboy?
hehe

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Tomboy a couple of times.

Didn't make a habit of it though.

It was even better than when I lived in Ann Arbor, and I usually had to drive my car a few miles if I needed something quick.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1829
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, Tomboy. Eh. I'm sure most folks would make the trip to University Foods.

Even the name turns me off (Tomboy, LMAO!)

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a gorgeous structure. How long has it been vacant? A true testament as to just how rich the city once was. You just couldn`t afford to over-build like that anymore. Any modern building probably would have caved in already after such neglect.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2324
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a similar looking structure at the corner of Trumbull and Selden near Grand River.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.