Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Brian Williams from Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight, Brian Williams will be broadcasting the national news from Detroit. He will also be filming segments for local news.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070724/ENT 03/707240319

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool, i enjoyed when charles gibson did it a couple months ago.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's a really funny guy if you've ever caught him on the daily show w/ jon stewart

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh! He'll be here only on account of the '67 riots. Big deal!

Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw him on jimmy kimmel live last week and he is funny. damn, who gives a fuck if he's only here because of the riots? does every damn topic have to be turned into something negative?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have you met Livernoisyard yet?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^-- LOL.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2488
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not true, LY, since the UAW talks started, too (not to mention his wife is from the area).

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stong ties to Indian Village?

Hmmm...anyone know who he's talking about?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2489
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His wife grew up there.

Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no i haven't met him but i can tell he's a keyboard warrior

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broadcast looked pretty good out here in Hi Def. The downtown skyline looked like a million bucks, I thought.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3487
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news about the UAW would be quite soporific for a national audience--even for Detroit. Not reason enough...

Anchors tend to visit cities in order to placate their affiliates, especially during those quarterly sweeps. Is this a sweep period? Yes, the July sweep is from July 5 - August 1. A much better reason than the UAW.

However, there are four weeks during this sweep. So, coming to Detroit during the 40th anniversary of the riots seems to have set the timing for his visit.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's too warm for her furs, but couldn't Martha Reeves have dressed up a little more for her national television interview?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure it was no trouble at all, WDIV is NBC's Top Affiliate if I recall and Post-Newsweek's Biggest Franchsie and their Flagship.

It's great to know though that the nation was finally watching us, unless the assholes decided to watch Charlie since he was in Detroit.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I figure anything is good, you know? I saw the news last night and everything looked good. Martha could have dressed better and maybe removed that cap, but hey, most of the US has some crazy hat on these days..... But the city looked good and it was not a negative story, IMHO.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where I could find a video of last nights broadcast on the internet?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2707
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you try the source, MSNBC?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30 32619/

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup wrote these falsehoods:
quote:

That's not true, LY, since the UAW talks started, too (not to mention his wife is from the area).

quote:

His wife grew up there.

Sorry Lilpup, you are sadly mistaken and ill informed. Brian Williams wife, Jane Gillan Stoddard, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hudson G. Stoddard was born in and grew up in New Canaan, Connecticut. She graduated from the New Canaan Country School and Duke University. She attended the First Presbyterian Church of New Canaan. Her father was vice president of marketing for WNET/ Channel 13 in New York. Her mother, Patricia Stoddard, was the director of administration in the executive office of the Champion International Corporation in Stamford, Conn before she retired.

So basically, you are full of baloney, Jane Stoddard Williams has NEVER, EVER lived in MICHIGAN. Maybe in your dreams she lived here, but my very reliable sources at MSNBC say you are grossly wrong.

Not bad for post 1000!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4732
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozl, actually Brian Williams mentioned that a very close relative did in fact live in Indian Village. Mother-in-law maybe? I cannot remember but he did say it.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not disputing the fact that his wife's family has strong ties to Indian Village and Detroit. All I know is that his wife and her family are blue bloods from New Canaan, Connecticut. I also know that Jane Stoddard Williams never lived in Detroit or Michigan as Lilpup asserts. Lilipup might need to upgrade to Eukanuba and lay off the IAMS for a while.

EDIT: Brian's Freep interview reveals: On his affection for Detroit. "I feel as at home in that newsroom as I do anywhere," he said of Local 4, where his close pals include Bernie Smilovitz. Plus, his wife's family has strong ties to Indian Village. "I have many friends in Detroit and I visit quite often as a civilian, when I'm not doing the broadcast."

(Message edited by quozl on July 25, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.