Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Downtown/Midtown Dwellers: Two Great Grceries in SW Detroit: « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jhartmich
Username: Jhartmich

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having made my monthly trek to Dearborn to grocery shop tonight, I once again was complaining to myself why most cities in America are wooing big corporations to locate in their locale, while Detroit has to woo friggin grocery stores (to no avail).

I decided to check out one of my old groceries in SW Detroit: The Honey Bee at 16th and Bagley. WOW! Totally different than the old Honey Bee. The store is HUGE, clean, and the prices were fantastic. I love all the wonderful marinated meats. I decided to bring home some Mole' (mole-lay) that they prepared. It was awesome. I almost regretted going to Kroger and Target in Dearborn (yes, Target. They have GREAT prices on can goods, spices, etc.) I like the Kroger at Michigan and Greenfield but have a small burr in my ass with them over the latest "ditching of Detroit".

Check out the Honey Bee. Their homemade salsa is awesome and very inexpensive.

One more place you have to try (spread the money around) is the new Mexican Palace Fruit Market at Vernor and Infantry (one block west of Vernor and Livernois). The young lady said they just opened 4 weeks ago. What a GREAT selection of fruit and produce. Comparing the prices to what I had bought an hour earlier at Kroger, the Mexican Palace beat Kroger on every item. I was VERY impressed. Safe, convienent, clean store and parking lot - check them out.

I am no way affiliated with these establishments and they don't even know I am pluging them. I just know many of my friends bitch about the same things I do. I do this as a public service to inform others that for many of the items you purchase, they're available locally and at great prices.

(Message edited by jhartmich on July 23, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3330
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove by Honey Bee yesterday. I should have stopped in. Looks great and good to hear a nice review of a local, non-corporate establishment.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I frequent the Honey Bee and the E&L on Vernor near Livernois/Dragoon.
Honey Bee has a nice dried spices section.
Good prices and food is usually very fresh.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i get 100% of my spices and dry asian goods at Rafel spice in eastern market. my produce and mexican goods @ honey bee, random fruit at market saturdays, my cheese at R. Hert, my bread at avalon, and my other groceries @ University. they are all awesome. Live in detroit and Shop detroit when possible, it's important.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does Honeybee have good stuff for those of us who don't care for the southwest flavor?

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953 - Go check it out! Honeybee does carry many staple items. And not all of their meats are marinated. They have a great produce selection as well!

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honeybee is great! Their meat and produce are as good and as fresh as any suburban chain grocer, but their grocery selection is predominately geared for a Hispanic clientèle.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 257
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad drives all the way from Taylor to get his meat from E&L. They know how to treat firefighters...Even the retired ones.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, the Honey Bee is ok for fruit, veggies and some meat, but it's still very much a Mexican grocery store. It's not even close to what one might expect even in an average grocery store in the burbs, or just about anywhere else.

University Foods is still the closest thing to a decent grocer (close to downtown), even though they don't have a deli counter.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, Harbortown is a bit better than University Foods. Both are quality grocers. What I'd really like to see in Detroit is a grocer specializing in organic food, like a Whole Foods. My fiancee and I hate having to drive up to Troy just to get a sizable variety of organic groceries.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Meijer in Allen Park has a good selection of organic foods and Eastern Market also on Sat

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1277
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hemingway, have you tried Nature Patch in Ferndale? It might be a closer drive for you.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 328
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nature patch has a great selection of a organic foods, spices, vitamins, and all other health related digestables...The only thing i dislike about the patch is the funky ass smell...

Bobzilla
Username: Bobzilla

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E&L Carniceria is a great market for beef, pork, chicken and prepared foods like pre-cooked slabs of ribs and roasted chicken. And they have most of the other groceries you would want. E&L is on Vernor near Livernois.

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prince Valley on Michigan and Livernois is a full service store. And I agree with Oldestuff....
the new Miejer store has a HUGE vegetable selection.
Oh.....and of course..... Honey Bee Rocks!!!!!

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Not as huge of a vegetable selection as Eastern Market...
Oh, and the vegetables from the Market last more than a couple days. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.