Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New Welcome Center at Eastern Market « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1811
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is from last week, but I don't think this was ever posted here...

http://www.detroitnews.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200707 14/BIZ/707140334

quote:

Eastern Market changes coming

Welcome center opens today as part of $10.8M renovation of landmark.
Eric Morath / The Detroit News
Saturday, July 14, 2007

DETROIT -- An Eastern Market welcome center set to open today will be among the first tangible results of a $10.8 million renovation of the Detroit landmark.

The center -- at Adelaide and Market streets -- will serve as an information hub to guide visitors through more drastic renovations expected to kick off later this month. In the first stage, Eastern Market's Shed 2 will under go major construction, displacing vendors to a nearby tent.

"Customers are used to having the vendors in the same location, so (the welcome center) will be a spot to dispense maps and give other information," said Laura Rodwan, spokeswoman for the Eastern Market Corp., the nonprofit that took over operations of the marketplace from the city last year.

The project to restore Shed 2 to its original 1894 appearance was supposed to have started in June. But the logistical issues of relocating vendors and preparing visitor materials delayed the start. Now the corporation is awaiting Detroit City Council approval to launch the renovation efforts.

Historic renovations are planned for the market's other sheds so that the area looks as it did in the 1890s. The overall goal is to create a more appealing location to attract first-time visitors and better serve long-time customers and those in nearby neighborhoods.

Once completed, Eastern Market will operate three days a week instead of just Saturday and provide a heated shed for more comfortable year-round operations.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering when the Welcome Center was going to be open. I'll have to check it out this weekend!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

our market just keeps getting better, nice!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially since I used to feel so unwelcome there ... not!

Dougw

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, now you'll feel extra-welcome!

Anyhow, does anyone know which "three days a week" they're talking about opening the market? Friday through Sunday would be nice.

Dougw

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 436
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A previous article specified friday, sat, and sunday opening.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were really really nice when we had our incident.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^What incident was that?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9625
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if opening on Friday, Saturday and Sunday would water down Saturday attendance and the experience in general.

Maybe they can spread it over a couple of days so that people in the area that like to buy a few days of groceries at a time can shop consistently there. I have no idea if there would be enough traffic to support this but Fri - Sun would be overkill in my opinion.

Dougw

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rfban, see https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/107844.html

Jt1, it might thin out the crowd a little, but sometimes Saturdays are almost too crowded, I think it'll be fine. If they tried to suddenly switch to being open 7 days a week, I could see that backfiring, but 3 days sounds just about right. I'll probably go on Sundays fairly often.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cars broken into at the market. They went way out of their way to be helpful and were uncommonly kind while doing it.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9629
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to think of it I would probably go on Sundays more often as well. I guess it would be halted during the few days of Lion's tailgates.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Jt1... maybe they could drop it to 2 days a week once Fall rolls in, and through winter months... there is usually only 1 shed open during winter months anyway...

...or maybe, only having the 1 shed open on Lions Sundays... that would even make for a better tailgate, since right now, the only business consistently open on tailgate Sundays, is Ronnies Meats... which to their credit, offers their great full selection... love those ribs on game day. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.