Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old Photo LII - Where Is This? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unusual photo of the waterfront. Probably taken from the Ambassador Bridge.

For a larger version of the photo, please click here.

Ookpik

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3396
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, you are correct.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 199
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, just East of the foot of West Grand Blvd at Riverside Park.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3477
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[It is not by Grand Blvd--west of the bridge.]

It's the Wabash Boat Yard. The tracks heading somewhat NE at the left center (just east of the roundhouse) are the tracks leading to the trestle along Jefferson and to the FSUD. The ramp to the trestle begins at approximately 15 1/2 Street. The former Wabash terminal ended at Twelfth and the river.

Those tracks near the left were the Coach Yard for the FSUD.

Norfolk & Western, now Norfolk Southern bought the Wabash some 30 years ago (I think).

(Message edited by Livernoisyard on July 23, 2007)

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to catch some nice sheephead and three eyed perch down there in the early 60's.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this image from the same angle, taken in 1971, at www.railpictures.net awhile ago. I would have linked to it, but I can no longer find it with the search there.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1840
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the original brightened up a bit, so you can actually see something. ;)

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting how, in the later picture, you can see that the shoreline was "fixed" to be straight, whereas in the earlier picture, it looked more natural.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 857
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shot Ookpik! I really like the way Hornwreckers' POV is nearly the same. A+ guys.

BTW, do you know if the ship pushing the train barge is the same one in both photos?

(Message edited by BUlletmagnet on July 23, 2007)

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer--may I ask if you actually ate those three-eyed perch you caught?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 885
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet.....
.....wouldn't be the same. The ferries didn't become barges until the late '60's. There's a couple of nice pictures of the Wabash ferries at http://members.aol.com/carferr y/Carferry.htm

The site has pictures of most lake and river ferry operations in Michigan. Very interesting

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info! :-)

Hornwrecker - Awesome photo!

Livernoisyard - What is the FSUD?

Glad everyone liked the photo. I have some additional shots that appear to be taken from the same POV. I will be posting them soon.

Ookpik

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1974
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort Street Union Depot

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1841
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wsu/vmc

Here's a different angle of the same yard around 1960(ish).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.