Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Air show at Selfridge « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 196
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone happen to go to the air show this weekend? I was over in Clinton Twp on Saturday afternoon and could hear it from the cemetery. Also saw a plane doing some skywriting but couldn't make out what it said. Alas, I did not have my camera with me! Love to hear any stories.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The skywriter was writing "AIRSHOW". We saw it in the morning, written twice, one to read it from the west, the other to read it from the east. Fascinating to watch the skywriting process!!

Alas, did not make it to the airshow. Would love to hear from someone who did.

Fnnm400
Username: Fnnm400

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on Friday for VIP day.. It was awesome, shot 900 digital pictures and burnt my face. My friend went back yesterday and said it ws even better than Friday.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was out of town, and I am disappointed as I missed seeing a couple of F-15's which they were supposed to have. 15's have been absent the last few years at the Selfridge Show.
C'mon Fnnm400-- Out of 900 digital pix, you had to have a couple of the F-15 Strike Eagles??

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Text description

Text description

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser--I am proud of you, but how 'bout an F-15?

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of off-topic, but who remembers the air shows at City Airport? I recall going back in the mid-70's, but I'm not sure what year they started or ended. They weren't up to the caliber of Selfridge, I imagine, but fun nonetheless.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family and I were there today. It was a great day weather-wise and the crowds weren't too bad. We had a great time! My son is Navy vet and was able to describe the planes and the gear in detail as he was an aircraft ordinanceman (sp?). I have always dreamed of being able to fly that fast straight up to the sky...but alas my motion sickness keeps my feet on the ground!

Sorry...we don't have any pics. A good camera is the next major purchase on our list.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didnt stay for F-15s. I saw a cool MIG though. I was there Saturday, from 6:30 til about 2ish. I got an hour preview before they let the humans in. Lots of planes.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 255
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hit up the show...it wasn't far from where I live. About 1 mile from my place. I got some pic's. I need to go thru them. I need to edit them. I didn't take many. I should have taken more, considering I shoot digital. They had 2 f-15's there, 2 MIG's...one Korean war era and another I couldn't make out the model of it. They didn't have to much of any newer aircraft. The newer one they had was the f-18 SuperHornet. The show overall was real good. What ive heard the next show won't be for 2 more yrs. They need to do more shows.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.