Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Livonia and Metro Detroit to Get SMART « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A name is needed that everyone will remember to vote next August 2010.

This will work to get industry support to help at the fare box as the vast majority will support transit taxes.

Please suggest names for this that will get people to remember and visit. An easy one to spell and type into a computer.

See the Trainman website under DETROIT LINKS

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6247
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Trainman!

I'm still voting YES in the SMART bus millage. Those racist folks in Nazi-Livonia don't have to vote for public transit because that have their own. WAIT-A-MINUTE I don't see any of those busses running.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOOOORING.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1969
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A name is needed that everyone will remember to vote next August 2010."

Thats 3 freaking years away.
come back in 2.9 years and remind us.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You ever consider moving out of Livonia?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5832
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, that was even more incoherent than usual; are you doing well?

Trainman

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The days of federal and state public bus funding are history, without a serious fight.

We must now rely completely on property taxes to pay for the union bus drivers and to merge with DDOT according to present SMART officials.

And they will win the battle to end ALL state and federal public mass transit funding, because of the vast majority of us who want higher taxes and cuts in bus service based on our votes.

Livonia will not be alone in these cuts and local tax increase to pay for hefty salary increases. We will all pay more because of the present incompetence of SMART to coordinate bus service and the high cost of government in Michigan.

Livonia does not stand alone in having suburban city leaders who refuse to fight Lansing's mandate to cut off funding to the city of Detroit, the low income and the handicapped. The other suburbs are just as corrupt. It will be those who make the least who will pay the most as Michigan continues to decline.

Lmichigan and the other posters so far, you all must favor the state cuts of $300 Million per year because that was the purpose of DARTA. This agreement stated very clearly as in TO REPLACE current funding. This is discrimination and is being challenged in the courts as illegal.

But, wait a minute!!!! We don't have to fight because Granholm is changing our laws to allow county sales taxes and other tax mechanisms to make sure the state pays little or nothing.

Michigan will then join about 34 other states that pay nothing from the fuel tax for existing mass transit.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You ever consider moving out of Livonia?"

I was going to say the same thing...

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, why would anyone want to move out of Livonia?
Low crime, few if any murders and you can even get a decent education in their schools.
Oh yeah, the cops will actually show up if you call them!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^But obviously, a community integrated into the regional transit system is something he greatly desires, yet is not receiving in Livonia. He could easily find another suburban community with all of that and is still serviced by SMART... if he wants.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 979
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

^But obviously, a community integrated into the regional transit system is something he greatly desires, yet is not receiving in Livonia.

Or that's his job.

Trainman

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia has strong industry support for SMART and wants the buses back.

Unfortunately, the new SMART leaders do not want to come back at this time even through the vast majority of our voters would support this.

(Message edited by Trainman on July 22, 2007)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it was the SMART leaders that left Livonia in the first place. It sure wasn't the Livonia voters.

Trainman

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focusonthed, It was not the voters but the illegal DARTA. This agreement state very clearly that Livonia MUST pay for the city of Detroit with no state money and also pay the recurring debt of over $70 Million per year.

This agreement was abolished by a judge before the three county vote came about as result of the Livonia opt out.

Please learn the facts before you post.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, the voters voted SMART out through the opt out. That's how you lost SMART. If you don't like it, tough.

Trainman

Post Number: 452
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO, it is not.

I still have bus service because of a judge's order to force the DDOT Plymouth Road bus route.

If the DARTA were made legal by the vote of the public or the state legislature, this bus route would have been abolished.

It is against federal transit laws to shut down any bus route without providing equivalent alternative service to everyone affected.

This includes the SMART employees’ jobs, which means a NO vote next 2010 will mean NO job cuts at SMART.

Or, the Michigan Department of Transportation can and will lose ALL federal transit grants for BOTH mass transit and roads.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 553
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it effing isn't against any damn law. DDOT has shut down a number of bus routes in recent years without providing any alternative anything. There is no longer a Broadstreet bus, or Buchanan, or Woodrow Wilson, or Lahser, or Meyers, just off the top of my head.

The voices that talk to you are giving you some bogus data, Train.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, which Judge ordered the DDOT service on Plymouth Road? I always assumed the City of Livonia paid for that so it can connect with their internal system.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6260
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

Let's review the SMART bus opt out from Nazi Livonia:

1. The EVIL Wal-Mart Supercenter issue cause lots of white folks who lived at the south Livonia neighborhoods to cry FOUL fearing with their xenophobic psyches that lots of black folks from Detroit, Redford TWP, Southfield, Inkster etc.., to work in that big box store. Later, black folks may think about buy those homes in the neighborhoods next to the EVIL Wal-Mart Supercenter causing white folks to move out.

2.They don't have enough money to pay the WCTA That's the Wayne County Transit Authority that delivers the money to SMART.

3.The white folks in Nazi Livonia want DARTA to take over so that they don't pay too much city tax dollars. But DARTA violated public transit guidelines and DARTA is DEAD! So the white folks in Nazi Livonia voted YES for opt out and propose a new public transit system in which its a ghost system to transport people from place to place.

Trainman, The folks in Nazi Livonia have voted within their civil rights to keep SMART busses out of their black free neighborhoods and its OVER and DONE! You can lobby about it, but it won't do any good. Right now Nazi Livonia is losing population, its manufacturing plants are closing, fearing the growing black communities from Redford TWP. more middle class whites are leaving Nazi Livonia to the ex-urbs and there are new signs of newer Middle class whites moving into those 1950 cookie cutter brick homes. Nazi Livonia will be a doomed city just like other inner ring suburbs just because most white folks don't want to diversify with blacks, hispanics, Arabs, Jews, Indians and even Aliens from another planet. They will be friends with ethnic peoples, but they don't want to live close to them. That's the nature of white folks they want to keep their culture in tact just like any other ethnic peoples.

Trainman

Post Number: 457
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, there is enough money from fuel taxes to keep the SMART and DDOT buses running. But, you are right it is a DEAD issue. Until we get mass transit leaders in Lansing who care to invest in high quality mass transit which includes buses (in my opinion as not everyone agrees on this) I do not expect to see SMART come back. This is why I'm lobbying Lansing to take actions and to stop the freeways without first protecting and improving existing public bus service. I'm doing this for others and not me because I want this area to attract more jobs and I enjoy helping others and someday I will be too old to drive and it would be nice to have choices other then driving. I think the aging boomers will think more about mass transit in the future and will demand this at the voting booth. My hope is for our taxes to work but without fixing the Detroit buses and coordinating bus schedules, it won't happen.

Without any incentives to lower and control costs in Michigan, we just simply will never have a world class mass transit system that I'm sure you agree that the taxpayers deserve.

Danny, Thanks for your posts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.