Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Weekend Chores in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 854
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While doing some weekend chores today, I began to wonder: how many of us still do the laundry the 'old fasioned' way? I recall my Mom, and all of the woman in our eastside neighborhood for that matter, would spend time during the weekend to do laundry, and hang the cloths out in the fresh air. As long as we didn't burn our rubbish at the same time, it was well worth the extra effort. We have also hung our cloths out to dry for the same reason, but I have noticed that not many others do. One day our Detroit neighbor offered to dry them for us thinking we were poor or something. So, how many of us in metro Detroit take the time to let our Mother (nature) do this for us?

http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/100_90 17.jpg?t=1185042441

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to do it years ago. I'm still thinking of finding a way to finegle a clothesline at my place, but I'm also concerned that since I'm under a large tree that the birds will soil my laundry before it gets dry!

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lady next door to me still hang hers, big bloomers and all!!!!LOL.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw a lot of laundry hung out to dry in Venice, Italy...the line that stayed in my mind was the one that had a red thong and a garter belt hanging on it...that one sent the fantasies running...hanging one's underwear out to dry has an element of risk about it...lolol.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for some weekend chores to do, I could use some help lifting backyard Mary back on her pedestal. The Blessed Virgin came with my house and I finally got around to leveling the foundation. It was easy to get her off the pedestal, but she is about a 250-300 lbs dead lift!

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 99
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE to hang my bed linens out in the sun to dry! Nothing better than the combination of bleach and sunshine. I only hang white things out, and never "personals", so you will NEVER see my bloomers in the breeze on a Saturday morning!!! :-)

I have a great retractable clothesline that I got at the ACE hardware on John R in Hazel Park. It retracts into a nice housing that keeps it clean and from deteriorating in the sun. And you don't have to look at it when you aren't using it.

I would never live in an association neighborhood because of this - darn if I'm not hanging my sheets out when I want to in my own backyard!!!

http://img523.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1010135imgkk9.jpg

~Liza

(Message edited by lizaanne on July 23, 2007)

(Message edited by lizaanne on July 23, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.