Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » St. Claire Hotel (Donaldson and Meier) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4712
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The St. Claire Hotel was, I believe, located at 210 Randolph Street. It was one of the finest multi-storied structures ever built in Detroit. It was designed by Donaldson and Meier in around 1898 or so. The building had Dutch influences, which were clearly visible on the upper floors and roofline. It also had guided “faux” balconies and an ornate entrance.

Anyone have more information on this structure? What’s at that location now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Po stcard-St-Claire-Hotel-Detroit -Mich_W0QQitemZ200015555474QQc mdZViewItem

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 797
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started a thread on this beauty in March. Read about it here:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/98230.html

Here is what I had to say about it (as well as the answer to what is there today):
The Hotel Ste. Claire was built at Randolph and Monroe in 1879 by the Brush estate on a site owned by the Brush family since 1806. The hotel closed Nov. 15, 1933, and was torn down the following year.
It was a swanky showplace for years and a meeting place for politicians. Its bar was said to be nationally famous and the meeting place of the gallants of the 1890s. At the time that it was built, it was described as being a structure of rare beauty.
If you take a look at the picture here, you will see just how beautiful this rare beauty was.

Photo:
http://i152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/Histo ric%20Detroit%20hotels/steclai re.jpg

Here's a photo of the site of the Hotel Ste. Claire today. It stood just south of the Odd Fellows temple in this photo (to the right).
Warning: Not work appropriate if the sight of parking lots turns you on:
http://i152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/Histo ric%20Detroit%20hotels/steclai retoday.jpg

Patrick

Post Number: 4713
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely missed it...thx

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 799
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, one of my favorites. That one and the old post office on Fort Street. Sigh.

Patrick

Post Number: 4714
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder if any interior shots remain? I have done research in the Burton and there are files for D and M. I actually found out about this building in a very rare architectural publication from 1899.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3304
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That building would be such an asset to that part of downtown today.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 800
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than a house here or there in Brush Park and the Trowbridge House, there isn't much from that era that survives. The Wayne County Building, maybe, but that was built in 1897. The Ste. Claire was built nearly 20 years before that. I think City Hall would have been FAR more important and FAR better looking than One Kennedy Square or the CAY Municipal Building.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3306
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely.

Patrick

Post Number: 4715
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or the Union Trust Building by D and M...

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 803
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Union Trust Building ... you mean the Guardian Building? That was built in the 1920s and still stands, so I don't follow why you mention it.

http://i152.photobucket.com/al bums/s164/rhymeswithrawk/Detro it%20postcards/guardian3.jpg

Patrick

Post Number: 4716
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, the Union Trust Building...a different one. It was 11 floors and designed by D and M. I have no idea where it was located. I have a photocopy of it. Prior to Guardian...in 1897.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 804
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see it, Patrick. I'll try to find photos of it. Thanks!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 805
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found a picture of it in "Buildings of Detroit." You're right, Patrick. What a marvelous building.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.