Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Bill Cosby in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtowntom
Username: Downtowntom

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody know what Bill
Cosby talked about last night?

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 867
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jello puddin' pops?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 714
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Jello puddin' pops!

cos

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 724
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I brought you into this world, I can take you out!"

Best line ever in a tv show. We all died laughing!

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a bit of a problem with entertainers trying to turn sociologist.

Like Robin Williams, this guy has had 8 figures in the bank for the last 30 years. What the hell does he know about ANYthing regarding to society? Particularly the blue collar lifestyle. When he gets on these cable shows trying to voice his views, I almost feel sorry for him. He comes across kinda dumb. Or he's auditioning for a part, sorta weird.

I like Bill Cosby, and if he's doing some good, so be it. God knows Detroit can use any help it can get.

(Message edited by sstashmoo on July 20, 2007)

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People with money that want to try and do good should be listened too.

Their message might not be what you want, but at least they tried.

Imagine all those that are rich and do not try to help.

Cosby and Williams are at least trying.

An we must remember, those 2 ,They were not always rich.

So maybe they do just know what they are talking about.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aT7 m8QdDJoI
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7KM ZuADgoqs&mode=related&search=
the good rev

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, Bill Cosby is not only an entertainer. He has a doctorate in childhood education...and not an "honorary" one. He is trying to use his education and his experience to help others. I applaud his efforts and hope that he can reach more people with his message.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 715
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cosby's doctorate in childhood education from the University of Massachusetts was an honorary one.

Helpwanted
Username: Helpwanted

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he is talking about the black man and how dumb they make themselves look and sound for speaking such horrible english.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 734
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is funny...my duaghter's 14 year old friend ...just bought the Cosby shows 3rd season. They still love the show...than again he also loves MASH...universal appeal spanning a generation

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This quote is from Bill Cosby's biography...

"Cosby earned a Masters Degree in Education (M. Ed.) in 1972 and his Doctorate in Education (Ed. D.) in 1977 from the University of Massachusetts. His doctoral thesis was titled “The
Integration of Visual Media Via Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids Into the Elementary Schools Culminating as a Teacher Aid to Achieve Increased Learning.”

Since the word "earned" was used, and he submitted a thesis on the subject, it would appear that it was not an honorary degree. However, not knowing him personally or having been at the ceremony, I can't know for sure.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2857
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've lost me on the Robin Williams thing.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 456
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robin Williams speaks out against substance abuse to groups of people from time to time.

I think he is qualified. lol

the good rev

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9608
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of what you feel about his message (which I like) Cosby deserves a fair amount of credit for making a show that portrayed a black family in a normal manner with normal problems.

Prior to the Cosby show black families certainly weren't represented in the best manner and the the families that were represented as a decent family typical lived in slums or projects.

Cosby at a minimum gets a lot of credit for that in my book.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4902
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, he could be spending his money vacationing in the tropics... but he chooses to spend his time trying to help others.

As for Robin Williams, he used to have a cocaine addiction, and it destroyed his first marriage. So now he's trying to help others as well.

It's one thing to use one's fame for political reasons. But it's noble of celebs to try to help mankind. Ditto for Elizabeth Taylor (and the late Princess Diana) with AIDS causes.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6245
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cosby knows that the black male race is doomed to extiction by the 23rd Century.But he'll do his best to connect his cause to save the black race.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 165
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are missing the point. Again I say I have a problem with entertainers trying to turn sociologist.

For those that may have forgotten, Robin Williams was making his way around the cable news networks a while back voicing his political views. And they sounded like someone with millions in the bank, warped and detached.

Bill Cosby, whom I have alot of respect for, has absolutely no business going into the inner city and trying to tell anyone how to live. The man is rich, hasn't a care in the world, needs for nothing..

If you were down on your luck and living below your potential, would you want Bill Gates to show up and tell ya what you're doing wrong? It's an insult.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 730
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you were down on your luck and living below your potential, would you want Bill Gates to show up and tell ya what you're doing wrong? It's an insult.
-----------

Um yeah, I would. I would assume he knew what he was talking about and I would thank him for his help.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who would you rather show up? Someone else living even more below their potential? I'm not sure I understand your argument. Because someone is falling short of their potential, we should leave them be and let them fail?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5831
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sstashmoo, while I generally take a lot of what Cosby says with whole spoonful of salt, you're argument (or, at least implied argument) that only working-clas people can speak to working-class people is ridiculous, as is the other implied piece of the argument that Cosby came from some silver-spoon upbringing? Cosby doesn't know the ghetto? Get real. This was a man that failed out of the tenth grade, joined the Navy, and then realize the importance of education getting his GED, going to college (getting sidetracked by his comedy success), and then finishing going back to school to get his degree.

Cosby is MORE than qualified to offer his advice on steps toward personal success. Whether you or I particularly agree with his message is an entire other story. And, for the record, I disagree with a lot of what he says, as I think he over-simplifies, as well as giving way too much to the unintended audiences of his speeches, while not giving enough to the audience his message is meant for. He more often than not, these days, comes across more as an old uncle out of touch with the younger generations of any ethnic background, but it has little to nothing to do with his current economic status, and a lot to all to do with his age.

But to say that just because Cosby found success, he can't speak on it is ridiculous.

Kind off topic, but I wonder how much longer this will last before someone comes to try and destroy/maim the discussion? I must admit, I'm a pessimist when it comes to expecting adults to be adults.

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 22, 2007)

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Kind off topic, but I wonder how much longer this will last before someone comes to try and destroy/maim the discussion? I must admit, I'm a pessimist when it comes to expecting adults to be adults."

Lmichigan, I agree with you on that one. Dr. Cosby has VALID reason for saying the things he's said about black youth in recent years. Others criticized him because of his back ground as you and others so eloquently mentioned. But look at what he did and where it got him. He is an example of whatever it is you want in life, if you put your mind to it, you CAN do it! So to the bad apple(s) in this thread who like to throw in the negatives, shame on y'all!

BTW, Lmichigan, You say you're pessimistic when it comes to expecting adults to be adults? Hey, I know kids who act better than they do (I assume you do also)! So Bill Cosby must be doing something right after all (LMAO)!

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 166
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bad apples??

Or just someone that doesn't agree with you?

I have trouble with folks whom are successful in one area of society then begin to feel like some sort of champion for mankind. Feel they are living to such empirical standards that they must share their perceived superiority. Sitting atop their throne surveying the ills of society and proclaiming "I am needed there"

Trust me when I say, they could care less.

If he's going to tell them some jokes, he's more than qualified.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 759
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cosby's doctorate in childhood education from the University of Massachusetts was an honorary one.

No, it wasn't. He actually earned it. Google is your friend.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.