Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Statement on Mass Transit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no prize for the winner, but guess which well-known local pinko said this:

"Southeast Michigan is the only major metro area in the country without any light-rail system connecting its citizens, businesses, school, and hospitals. Light-rail service is a critical piece of the puzzle as we push to drive our economy back on its feet and then onto a substantial growth trajectory.

If we're ever going to become a first-class region capable of competing with other big cities for the talent that will be needed to create new companies and jobs, we've got to stop thinking an acting like a bunch of victim crybabies whose first reaction is always to point the finger at each other's cities and counties.

This is one region Drawing mythical lines on maps does not change that fact. The vast majority of people in this region would overwhelmingly support a 21st-century way of moving around our region in fast, wireless and Web-enabled state-of-the-art trains that move them, their families, their employees, and their business associates in a safe, easy, convenient, and inexpensive mode of transportation."

An no, it was not a quote from livernoisyard. Any guesses? I'll give you the answer (and source it) later. The answer is very interesting.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know one name to cross off of the list:

L Brooks Patterson

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say Trainman, but it's not about buses in Livonia, so that can go as well.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penske?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be surprised if a card-carrying member of the Republican party said that. Somehow, they manage to get these projects built in heavily Republican cities in the Southwest...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has to be someone you could imagine saying "crybabies"

Was it Lessenberry?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karmanos?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3296
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me?

Seriously, I don't know which person that we wouldn't expect to say that sort of thing would say that sort of thing.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenn Granholm

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pete, come on, we've waited all day. Spill it.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2874
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no way this is a Granholm quote. This statement was made with conviction.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's gotta be Lessenberry. I can actually HEAR him saying those words as I read it.

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the wait - just checked in here again now.

The quote is from......

Dan Gilbert
(DBusiness, May/June 2007, page 80)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh boy... Let the speculation begin!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5821
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one man or woman can build a regional rapid transit system. Gilbert can say what everyone knows all that he wants, unless municipal governments agree to get on board, Gilbert is just a cheerleader like countless other business persons and community leaders around the metro.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 756
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just give every working person a car who doesn't have one. It would be less expensive than a rail system.

As an added bonus, think of what it would do to the automotive-based economy around here? We would put laid off workers back to work and send sales through the roof. I was just joking at first but, wow, this might actually be a good idea!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5823
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you're still joking.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3300
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool.

This harkens to that newspaper story about how he wanted commitments for new transit to downtown if he built his hq downtown.

(Message edited by mackinaw on July 20, 2007)

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The top leader of SEMCOG ?

Trainman

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or the top leader of Ford ?

I enjoy contests which is why I want to publicly debate our leaders on television and challenge them.

In the mass transit contest, we must all work together if we want a world class mass transit system. Thus, I'm seeking good friendly debates that don't cut down anyone and build on everyone's knowledge and abilities to get the public mass transit system the taxpayer's deserve with our limited tax dollars.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, Trainman, he already gave the answer. It was Dan Gilbert.

PS you are a little obsessed. You should really get a job in mass transit somewhere in a city that has one.

Yvette248

Post Number: 758
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw come on LMich! You KNOW that's a novel, creative idea. You just don't wanna admit it cuz it came from a girl!

Danindc

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No one man or woman can build a regional rapid transit system. Gilbert can say what everyone knows all that he wants, unless municipal governments agree to get on board, Gilbert is just a cheerleader like countless other business persons and community leaders around the metro.

True, but Gilbert and other business leaders are free to take their companies to cities that are more economically efficient, and have a higher quality of life, in order to find the talent they desire. Bright, ambitious people don't tend to live amongst seas of parking lots.

quote:

Just give every working person a car who doesn't have one. It would be less expensive than a rail system.

This is completely unfounded, and an outright lie. Show us your numbers. If it were, in fact, true, then you wouldn't see every other major city in the U.S. scrambling to rebuild their rail systems. If it's cheaper to buy cars for everyone, then why is New York City spending billions to build the Second Avenue Subway, and to create a tunnel for the LIRR to service Grand Central?

Even still--where the hell are you going to put all those cars? And who pays the sky-high Detroit insurance premiums???

Of course, you're right, and Dan Gilbert is wrong. Detroit is the only city that handles transportation correctly. It's everywhere else that has it wrong.

Trainman

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I have a job in mass transit and am not obsessed. I'm the one who filled the SMART buses in Livonia and I can fill them all up very easily. But the truth is that most of us would rather pay higher taxes for mass transit then to get someone like myself to run SMART.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Even still--where the hell are you going to put all those cars? And who pays the sky-high Detroit insurance premiums??? "

And how much will it cost to replace them every 5 years?

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

danindc,

it's time to rally together for the creation of a parking city, in addition to giving all those cars away. we need to build skyscraper garages! one suv per person! gas will never get more expensive, it will actually get cheaper!

even though you're a girl, yvette, i'd still consider actually slapping some sense into you. (not that i'd expect it to actually work)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 159
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc... It pains to me to admit I agree with you on almost all of your points and observations regarding mass transit. Keep speaking my mind.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 901
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need far more statements like this, it's going to take a collective effort from people like Gilbert to move this issue forward. We need someone from the business community who can cross political boundaries to be the public face for the issue, people like Gilbert, Penske and Karmanos are more highly regarded regionally than any political leader. It's easy for Brooks Patterson portray light rail as the unneeded, folly of Detroiters with many in the 'burbs already reluctant to work with Detroit . It wouldn't be easy to do that if some as respected as Roger Penske, you'd break down those anti-regionalism attitudes and get more supporters outside the city. You'd gain more GOP support at all levels of government if they saw this as something the business community wanted. The groups pushing this issue need to get one of them to get to be the front man and all of them involved in some visible way

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Johnlodge, I have a job in mass transit and am not obsessed. I'm the one who filled the SMART buses in Livonia and I can fill them all up very easily. But the truth is that most of us would rather pay higher taxes for mass transit then to get someone like myself to run SMART."

Oh good Trainman. I am glad to hear you are working in the field, as you definitely seem dedicated to it. :-)

Yvette248

Post Number: 765
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, you need a beer, some drugs or a woman!

It's obvious to anyone with a brain that my "brilliant idea" was very tongue in cheek. How many people do you know with a job that doesn't have a car. Not too many, right?

Trainman

Post Number: 447
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs good jobs and not more transit proposals that don't work and higher taxes.

The regressive and illegal DARTA agreement was a "sin of omission" and is exactly why Livonia lost the SMART buses.

The november 27, 2006 SMART bus service reductions are open discrimination against the low income and minorities.

See the website under DETROIT LINKS for complete information

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's obvious to anyone with a brain that my "brilliant idea" was very tongue in cheek. How many people do you know with a job that doesn't have a car. Not too many, right?

I don't think you want to go down this road, Yvette.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6244
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You and your fight to bring the SMART busses back to Nazi-Livonia, Trainman. Those folks in racist city will not bring back the SMART busses. So they are doomed as a shrinking bedroom suburb of 95,000.

Danindc

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it's time to rally together for the creation of a parking city, in addition to giving all those cars away. we need to build skyscraper garages! one suv per person!

Unfortunately, Detroit has already started down this path. The only other place I've been that has parking garages as large as those in Detroit is Chicago. The difference is that Chicago will have 30 or 40 stories of residences above those garages.

quote:

It pains to me to admit I agree with you on almost all of your points and observations regarding mass transit. Keep speaking my mind.

Why is it so painful? I hope it's not personal! LOL

quote:

Dan, you need a beer, some drugs or a woman!

All of the above.

quote:

Actually, it wasn't obvious. Hence my response. The post you made above is virtually identical to quotes from anti-transit ideologues like Wendell Cox and Randal O'Toole.

I actually know quite a few intelligent, well-paid, college-educated professionals who don't own a car, including Yours Truly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.