Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Your thought's about how everything is going so far with the job and economy and gas prices here.. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still say the area isn't going the way it should. With the way people are still fleeing the Detroit area, not just to move to other areas in the state & out of state. The job situation isn't improving. A co-worker of mine at work spoke to me about a friend who works for a Law firm and they just got rid of their overtime & they told them if they don't like that idea to quit and they would hire 2 people at 8 buck's an hr...vs her 15 an hr pay. I don't see how anyone can say it's getting better... I'll say it again...stop focusing on the auto industry.....the whole Ann Arbor/Tech thing isn't going to turn thing's around. There need's to be a whole restructring of the job market here. Face it...the big3 had there ride and now they really don't want to be bothered with helping out the situation..Yes there is some plants here...but who know's how long those will last here. I still thinking about buying a car that isn't made by the Big3...it seems half the country agree's with me about certain car's...the quality & the car's that lack good MPG by them isn't there. I looking at the Civic Hybrid, also if I buy it I get a real good tax break as well because of the fuel it saves. I drive 40 miles plus a day back and forth from work to home. Agree or don't agree with me about this comment/post... I really think everyone need's to re-change there thinking here. It's time to face the fact's. Speaking of tax break's on vehicle's. They where giving tax break's on the H2....and it was a big one...I know they just lowered the tax break on it...There should be a gas guzzler tax on it. Ive seen the gas prices drop. I talked to my friend in NJ, gas there is 2.76 or cheaper for a gallon of regular. What the state should do is focus on the alternative fuel thing for vehicles, like offer incentives to people who want grow corn or own a farm and grow crop's that would be used for fuel..aka ethenol. Also any of the Nuclear power plants...you get hyrdogen as one of the by products from the use of the plant..that's another thing where the state can use that to an advantage. I haven't posted in a while...just been so disgusted with the way some people think..No offense to anyone...Ive just been disgruntled lately.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite frankly, you're becoming one of my less favorite posters. Between the constant bashing of American vehicles and the negative attitude about Metro Detroit, I've seen you contribute little to a board that is intended to promote our great city.

Your friend of a friend lost his job. Sorry, that's unfortunate. But, there are lots of companies hiring. It's a competitive market, but I encounter companies daily searching for qualified applicants.

I work in the Farmington Hills area, and things are very good here. Automotive R&D is strong, and I see a lot of construction on my way to work - including the new ITC headquarters which is roughly an 8 story building.

Ann Arbor is and will continue to be a hot spot for biosciences and technology companies...bringing nothing but good to the Metro Detroit area.

It's really easy to say there needs to be a "whole restructuring of the job market", but I don't think you have any idea what that means or could even suggest what it would take to do that.

Drive your Hybrid. Spend thousands extra...and if you're one of the lucky ones to break even in 4-5 years, good for you. My GM vehicle came with a hybrid option, and I declined, especially because most of my driving is on the highway anyhow. Hybrids are a dead-end technology with a lot of hype. Alternative fuels, or diesels (if they can produce them to meet emissions standards) are a much more viable solution. If you don't like the H2, you are entitled to your opinion, but don't suggest that others should be punished for their decision. Perhaps not in the case of the H2, but a lot of SUV drivers purchase their vehicle because they need its utility - for cargo and/or towing capacity.

There are companies focusing on alternative fuels in this state. I'd find a list of them, but I only have a quick moment here before I need to get started here at work. Anyhow, these technologies WILL be usable some day, but they are many years away yet. GM is a strong pusher for ethanol, hydrogen and electric vehicles.

You make a lot of uneducated statements about the "big 3". As someone who deals with them daily, let me assure you that their product development teams can't even work enough overtime to achive their goals. Need I remind you that Ford Motor Company's electrical reliability actually surpassed Toyota Q1 of 2006.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What the state should do is focus....

Why don't you try to do the same when you write a post? A little fact searching would also help turn your your rambling, ill-informed statements into something I might actually want to read.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, he's just laying out his opinion, no need to get personal about it.

As for me, I say watch what happens with the union negotiations. I think we're going to be seeing a lot of change and a lot of concessions in the future, and with the emerging trend of health care risk being placed with the workers instead of the companies, I think we're going to see a more competitive auto industry in the near future. I know this is focusing on the big three, but I wouldn't count them out quite yet.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9579
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, one big paragraph is a pain in the ass to read.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 743
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in my second round of interviews at Chrysler. I guess they are still hiring.

(Trust me, this position isn't $8 or $15 an hour.)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 702
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And his use of apostrophes is atrocious. Seriously, you should stop using those and write the whole out until you see where you're going wrong.

That said, I don't disagree with many of your statements.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there were a few plural nouns in there which were missing apostrophes... could you go back and re-edit your post to add those? Thanks.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 142
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow...I didn't want to seem like the A-hole grammar police by being the only one to say something about the apostrophes. They distracted me so much, I'm not really sure what I read.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2694
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an story a few days ago about quality: Better car quality squeezes mechanics.

Ironically, today's higher quality is putting auto mechanics out of work.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ That's been a long term trend. We sold our repair facility about four years ago because we got to the point we were just breaking even and didn't expect to see any upturn in business. We built a body shop because, so far, accidents still happen, though gas prices have dragged that down, too, since people are driving fewer miles.

There have been times during the midweek days this summer when I could have taken a shot down our main crossroad and not hit any cars. Fortunately, businesswise, there's still the nighttime drinkers.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2698
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... gas prices have dragged [a body shop]down, too, since people are driving fewer miles.

Insurance companies must be saving a bundle.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am tryin to state my own opinion. And thank the one poster for pointing that out. I just view thing's diffrently just like everyone else on here. Some people call Coke Soda, some call Coke Pop. I just think some diffrent thing's can be done to help out, and that's what I was posting....yes their was some negativity. Alternative fuels are a good thing, just the fact that most newer vehicles out there don't use this new feature. I did post about Hydrogen, I guess some people didn't catch that...I am going to take this with a grain of salt. Speaking of work being done on car's, most the newer car's that are out they are building them now that most mechanic's can't work on them. And when you bring them to the dealership, they charge an arm and a leg for work. And please enough about the grammar...im not in high school anymore...but I really don't care. If you have a fetish for that then that's your thing. I need a beer, thank goodness the weekend is almost here.

Detroitfan
Username: Detroitfan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find the job market in Detroit great in some fields. I am in industrial sales and our business is booming. I decided to leave my job after a series of disagreements with my boss and had two offers after making two phone calls. These offers were not for $7.00/hr either. The auto plants that are left are spending money as are Det.Edison, Consumers etc. BASF is building a new plant in Wyandotte bringing in 170 new jobs. Obviously all is not rosy but all is not lost either. The very thing that made Detroit a great place to locate a city in the first place will help it in the long run.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 397
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette, Chrysler is hiring? Ill take it!!!!

I agree with John Lodge there is no need to get personal he is just expressing his opinion-perception. What I witness and percieve is Union and non Union workers who barely make 10 bucks or less per hour punching out and working on their own time because they are scared and feel powerless. Boo hoo cry cry. We live in an adolescent society. I was a union member for over 10 years and if a fellow employee tried working off the clock when I first entered the workforce the person was chastised and chastigated. As union membership and wages have dropped there seems to be more of an apolitical mood. Americans are voting for American Idol and the best dancers instead of researching and electing worker and lower middle class friendly third party candidates in local and national offices.

I make over 16 per hr. but still need to work a second job to spend and invest to my desire. The key is to find a job where there is room for advancement. There are actually some industries, grocery retail being one, in which an individual can advance up the ladder with little or know college education.

Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 251
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel you. I am thinking of persuing a degree in the cooking field. My job doesn't pay as well either. That is true Terryh, too many people pay attention to all those reality shows. I could care less for them. I do watch the History & Discovery channel. I do watch some show's that are on the major network's, Hero's, Lost, Jericho...thats pretty much it for that.

About the unions....my dad worked in a supermarket for over 20yrs and was a Union Guy. Ive saw him year's back go on strike for almost 5 months. I think most unions time and place in most industry has come to a point where they need removed from the work place.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 400
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Workers make the unions and there is much less unity among American workers than in my great and grandparents generations. Unions are still strong in countries like Germany in which company execs work with union reps. There is a lack of participation in the UFCW. Small percentages of workers show up to vote and complain but don't vote the bums out of office so to speak.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
"the big3 had there ride and now they really don't want to be bothered with helping out the situation.."

The Big 3 IS the ride. There is nothing else here. Period. And that goes for many other cities around the country too. Cars are about the only large consumer good this country still produces in any quantity. The rest of it is just MA n PA cottage stuff gettin their asses kicked by China.

They don't want to be bothered???? LOL

The US is dam lucky the Big3 hasn't implemented more "globalization" and pulled every manufacturing job clean the hell out of here to Asia. The government with it's ridiculous trade policies are essentially begging them to do it.

Frenchman_in_the_d
Username: Frenchman_in_the_d

Post Number: 159
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get seriously pissed off when Americans dare to complain about gas prices and always nag that the government is over hyping prices and not doing anything about it.

I think the US is doing A LOT to artificially keep the gas prices low and not add too many taxes. The government could make SO much more off gas is they wanted to. But I believe that they are doing their utmost to keep it low.

Come and check it out in France...
My dad drives a 4 cyl. 1.8L Renault Megane (same size as an Aveo) and drives around 9.000 miles a year (EU average). Well, he still pays a hefty 100 Euros to fill up the car (US$138) every 10 days (1L of regular unleaded is at 1.85Euros)...

we got it real easy here, and the government could f*k us over real bad is they decided they wanted to...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.