Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Michigan Supreme Court: Voters Need Photo ID « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070718/NEWS06/ 70718033

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't the law state if you go out in public you must carry identification anyway?

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 957
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot...one more obstacle to ballot stuffing

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 755
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when does this go into effect?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State should just make the State Photo ID free- that way they are not burdening the poor or elderly, and there would be no problem with requiring ID for voting.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No 1953, you haven't had to use ID for voting for at least the last couple elections.
It passed, but was put into use in 1996

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aoife, while I don't have the statute in front of me, IIRC, the law (to be constitutional) provides for free or substantially free IDs to anyone that would be unduly burdened.

as an aside, if one is too elderly to get out and get a photo id, wouldn't that also imply they are too elderly to get out to a polling place to vote?

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1839
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So do I mail in my driver's license when I vote absentee?

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look for a press conference on the five o'clock news from the NAACP.

Quickly, the 1996 law was never implemented due to an advisory opinion by then AG Frank Kelley declaring the law unconstitutional). Last year, State Rep Chris Ward asked the Supreme Court to review the AG's opinion (which was unheard of, as it was not within the province of a legislator to request review of an AG advisory opinion). The supreme court did so, with the AG's office arguing on behalf of both the constitutionality and unconstitutionality of the statute. Numerous groups filed amicus curiae briefs in opposition to the statute, including the NAACP. It should be noted that similar laws have been struck down in numerous states, particularly those states specifically restricted in the Federal Voting Rights Act. There may be a federal court challenge (if not already filed) coming on this. (Sorry, I haven't kept up with it like I should have)

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock,
You show your photo ID when you pick up your absentee ballot.

Last year, since I had previously voted absentee the two prior elections, my ballot was mailed to me directly without a prior request. I had already proven to the clerk through photo ID and property taxes that I was the person at the mailing address.

It's hard to argue the Democrats do not look stupid on this issue. Everyone should have ID; even the prisoners who vote a straight Democratic ticket have a state supplied ID.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.