Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Griswold - Capitol Park Breaks Ground « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ernest_adams
Username: Ernest_adams

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Roxbury Group Breaks Ground on The Griswold ~ Capitol Park

DETROIT–The Roxbury Group, a Detroit-based development company, broke ground yesterday on The Griswold ~ Capitol Park, an 80-unit condominium project to be located on the corner of Griswold Street and Michigan Avenue, next to the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel and Residences.

Stacy Fox, a principal of the Roxbury Group, announced the construction team, Walbridge Aldinger and LS Brinker, who joined forces as construction managers on the project. She stated, “Having worked closely with Walbridge Aldinger in the past, I am confident that this project will be built safely and on time and on budget.”

Participants in the groundbreaking included Detroit Deputy Mayor Anthony Adams, Detroit City Council President Kenneth V. Cockrel, Jr. and President of the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation George Jackson.

The Griswold ~ Capitol Park was first announced in December of 2006 when the Roxbury Group secured the “air rights” – the empty space – above the parking structure to be owned by the Downtown Development Authority on which the project will be built. In her acknowledgements, Fox stated, “George Jackson immediately saw the creative economic development opportunity in the air rights and has worked diligently with us to realize this potential.”

The Griswold residences, designed by Detroit-based architecture firm, Kraemer Design Group, will rise six floors above an 11-story retail and parking complex, which is being built to support the Westin Book-Cadillac and The Griswold.

The residences range in size from 650 to 2,800 square feet and will feature high-end amenities and finishes including a private entrance on Griswold Street staffed by a 24-hour doorman, floor-to-ceiling windows, one or two terrace balconies per unit, fireplaces in certain units and gas appliances. The top residential floor (15th floor of the building) will offer nine, two-story penthouses allowing for second-floor master suites with a second balcony. Every unit will have spectacular views of downtown.

The cost for the entire project is $41 million; with The Griswold portion alone totaling over $26 million in investment.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6237
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!!! Let gentrification begin.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 618
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joann Watson didnt attend due to dust in the air

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ :-)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news. Detroit Rises! Can't wait to see that rendering come to life.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 903
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This project is great, but the press release is a bit misleading. Really, the first paragraph should have stated that ground was broken to build a huge parking garage with 80 condos on top. The first paragraph of the press release gives the impression that this is a condo tower rather than a parking garage with condos.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ have you ever read a press release that wasn't misleading?

Ernest_adams
Username: Ernest_adams

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine the headline, "Roxbury Group Breaks Air..." would have quite the response they wanted.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5813
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ernest, can you please provide a link to this press release?

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - if not gentrification: what do you suggest, continue to let Detroit rot?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5814
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt, seriously, that he was being sarcastic.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, why do you always make the same "yay!! gentrification!!" comment? You are starting to sound like a broken record. That's 3 times in the past few weeks that I can count.

What would you like to see happen in the CBD exactly?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5815
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, I can't imagine he was being sarcastic at all. I guess you guys aren't very familiar with Danny?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 587
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he is what he is...simply and purely

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will always be those who oppose any type of change. But the restoration of the BC and the development of the adjacent Griswold is nothing but good news for the city and everybody in the vicinity. The revitilization of Detroit is paramount to a better way of life in SE Michigan.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Generally those who oppose gentrification do so due to the displacement of low income residents who, because of increased property value and tax, can no longer afford to live in an area. In this case I'm not familiar with any low income folks living in the BC, Lafayette Building or the dirt lot once occupied by the People's Outfitting building. Gentrification becomes more of an issue in neighborhoods that see a resurgence and renewal leading to an influx of higher income owners to move in. At any rate I hope the CBD continues to gentrify until theres nothing left but $250K lofts and condos and Washington Blvd become the new million dollar mile.

(Message edited by mdoyle on July 18, 2007)

(Message edited by mdoyle on July 18, 2007)

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5817
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so unfortunate that we're discussing those that oppose gentrification, because not one person, here, has brought up opposing this development due to gentrification.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 905
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I here you, Lmich. Although maybe Lowell can add this to the top banner:

Warning, don't get sucked into the Danny vortex....

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alright Lmich, ottawa. Won't don't we get about Danny?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was he saying he didn't want gentrification? It didn't sound that way to me.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just behind BC, The high rise senior citizen buildings ground floor retail space just got converted to the Book Cadillac sales center. It looks so attractive fronting Washington Blvd.

Scruffy
Username: Scruffy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third installment in a three part downtown story that registrants to the Griswold site have been receiving.

http://www.thegriswold.com/new s_3a.htm

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you related to Scruffy the Cat? They were a fun band out of boston in the late 1980's.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 912
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about being lazy, but where can one get a price list for these units (if such a list is currently available)?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3297
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was some very well written hype that I'm totally buying. Let's hope that vision comes true.

I'm starting to realize just how good the view of the CBD skyline will be from the Griswold, and hoping one day I can live there.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got that article too. So cheesy but so great.

Scruffy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Price lists available at the Opera House tomorrow. I know the one bedrooms start at $175k

Scruffy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To get the full flavor of the cheesy-ness (and greatness), you have to read all three chapters in order.

http://www.thegriswold.com/new s_1a.htm
http://www.thegriswold.com/new s_2a.htm
http://www.thegriswold.com/new s_3a.htm

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 998
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this:
quote:

Where the sound of music and the smell of enticing aromas drift from hidden little corners and subterranean hideaways.The place you always wanted in the City you have always called home.

Are they referring to the bums that pee and poop on the sidewalks and other locations downtown?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5822
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course not. They are referring to the sewer system and steam grates.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.