Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Best use of Old County Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 258
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the County is to vacate their facility at 600 Randolph, what would be the best use for the building? With the high ceilings, oversize corridors, and lack of flexibility in floor plans, there aren't too many options.

I think it would make a great museum. But not to compete with the DIA.. maybe a museum of modern art? Something forward looking, exciting, that would attract visitors downtown.

Other thoughts?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about just leaving it as it is and opening it as a Museum.

That way, people can come see and experience all the stuff that happened in the building.

I'm sure it wouldn't compete with the DIA though.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 769
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A museum/art gallery seems like their only option, due to the historical nature of the building. Am I wrong in saying that?

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 259
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another option would be for the City to move the Mayor's and Council's offices into the building. Concentrate other City offices into the C.A.Y. (Fire Marshall, Water Dept, City Engineering, etc).

Urbanize

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I like that idea better Keystone.

I don't think the City Officials would be doing that though.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 455
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Another option would be for the City to move the Mayor's and Council's offices into the building. Concentrate other City offices into the C.A.Y. (Fire Marshall, Water Dept, City Engineering, etc)."

And pay $5 million a year rent? That's why the county wants out. I don't think the city could afford it.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't the owners of the building concerned that NOBODY will want to pay 5 million a year rent? That's a LOT of revenue to suddenly not have.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consolidate Wayne County civil and criminal courts and their offices into one location after Farbman begs Wayne county to stay with a 50% reduction in rent...

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 283
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an article which hopefully shows that the county and the owners are going to work something out. Let's hope.....

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070721/NEW S02/707210328

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6317
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should demolish it and use the lot for parking.

There's hardly anywhere to park downtown these days.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 378
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne County gets $9M pitch to keep current offices

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should demolish it and use the lot for parking.

There's hardly anywhere to park downtown these days.

Die. Even though I know you're kidding. :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bouzuki III

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 811
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trappers Alley Redux!

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redux, wheres my dictionary???

Hopefully the owners lower their price further. I would like to see the county remain in this ancient building.

I dont think they'd let the building be leveled but i dont like to take my chanses.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2325
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tribute to landlords who think they can rob government entities blind. Funny how they'll accept rent of less than a million a year with this new offer when before they were charging Wayne County 5.5 million a year. Nice to see the building owners sweat.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ficano has said even if a deal is reached for the county to remain in the old building, it will buy the Guardian."

So not only would they have that lease that is still pretty expensive, but own another building on top of it? Doesn't sound like the county would be saving any money at all.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[quote]"So not only would they have that lease that is still pretty expensive, but own another building on top of it? Doesn't sound like the county would be saving any money at all."[/quote]
Buying a building with a well established occupancy and low balling a landlord is not going to save the county money HOW?

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 551
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Demolish?
Im sure that was a joke.

It could be used as a private school.

the good rev

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "The Albert Kahn Archtitectual Museum”? And I don't mean just show case his work, but all of Detroit's architects.

Sbradke
Username: Sbradke

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's a nice video of the county building

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =wpf7zm_Aorc

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4746
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move U of D Law School there?

Meeshba
Username: Meeshba

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Hotel?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5859
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about county offices?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 411
Posted on Sunday, July 29, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upscale Hotel!

> or gut it out and make more parking!

<313>

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 187
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State urban studies building. Now that they have a complete major for it.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 501
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that location would look great with a parking garage on it.....there is a serious lack of them downtown.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1950
Posted on Monday, July 30, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a Bed and Breakfast?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.