Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » New Highwaay Sign In Town « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1836
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While driving E-bound on I-94 recently, I noticed a new highway sign posted by Chandler Park:

Grosse Pointe Communities
Next 4 exits

I recall a recent thread/posts bringing attention to the fact that the Pointes have tried to hide their whereabouts. Perhaps the comments have borne fruit(?)

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Won't people be surprised when they get off at Harper looking for the club?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harper/Outer Drive, Cadieux, Moross, Allard, Vernier...seems like it would be 5 exists.

This is neither good nor bad. Most metro Detroiters already know where the GPs are. It probably helps out of towners. If they do this they might as well make it clear where the Pointes are. I.e. at the top of the Moross exit should be a sign pointing east saying "GP Farms 1.5 miles"

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 377
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New highway signs have been going up all over the state. So I would guess this is just a part of that plan.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that sign too last night! I found myself wondering if it could subtly help the property values in the adjoining parts of Detroit.
Hey, a gal can dream.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1794
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Harper/Outer Drive, Cadieux, Moross, Allard, Vernier...seems like it would be 5 exists."

Let's not forget Outer Drive/Chalmers or the Harper Ave. exit in bet. Cadieux and Chalmers.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 18, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3264
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former is kind of pushing it--not really a GP exit; the latter is what I meant by Harper/Outer Drive. Effectively it is Whittier St. (which becomes Outer Drive and then Whittier again in GP Park). This is an eastbound-only exit.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outer Drive/Chalmers and Harper were both mentioned in the original post.

So if I see an influx of cars going by my house, does that mean I have this sign to blame? :-)

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it is because we are finally getting something worth visiting in Grosse Pointe - a Trader Joe's! :-)
The signs are to welcome in the hungry masses from other East Side locals......

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed the sign yesterday too, but unless I'm mistaken I think it was located after the Harper ramp which means the 4 exits would be Cadieux, Moross, Allard and Vernier.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3265
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we'll need to check, because The_rock said it was by Chandler Park.

It would be strange if the first Harper/Outer Drive exit wasn't deemed a good way to access GP, as I use that interchange exclusively when I go to 94 to/from home.

Brucek1958
Username: Brucek1958

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Won't people be surprised when they get off at Harper looking for the club? "

You mean the Pointe Athletic Club? Isn't that just a left at Whittier and then a little ways down on the left hand side?

The sign does come after the Harper exit. I just drove past it 15 minutes ago.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be smart coming from the west to Exit at Chalmers, especially if you don't know where you going.

Then Keep Mack out through GP until you reach your dest.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4873
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When designating freeway entrances/exits, the State Highway Dept. designates only complete (2 entrance/2 exit) locations.

Allard (east and westbound exits only), Harper (eastboud exit only), and Whittier (westbound entrance only) do NOT meet the criteria for a regular interchange entrance/exit, so they use "A" or "B" designates.

Isn't Moross the 227A exit and Allard the 227B exit?

So I assume that the 4 "complete" exits are Chalmers/Outer Drive, Cadieux, Moross and Vernier. The other entrance/exit ramps are just the "B" exits/entrances of the 4 main ones.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 18, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1579
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize-
Did you mean to say "wouldn't"?

I made that first mistake driving in way back when to see family in GPP. I chould have taken Cadieux. I saw Chalmers, remembered the C and took the Chalmers/Outer Drive exit.

That was an interesting trip. Got to mack or warren (can't remember) and there was a traffic accident with a decent crowd gathering. Plus all the nice homes on Chalmers before you get to Jefferson.

It was a very "Welcome to the D" moment, as this was in 2003 and I hadn't been there since I was a little kid in probably 1993. Just a kinda interesting experience. I knew about all the sad stuff I did see, but you kinda expect that isn't really going to be the 1st thing you experience after arriving in the city.

It was interesting :-)

Outer Drive is a good bet. But if you don't know it. It is easy to turn on Chalmers instead of going past to OD.

Whittier works, if I remember correcly, only to get ON I94 westbound, right? You can't exit Whittier E or W, right?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3270
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Whittier (officially Harper Ave./Outer Dr.) you can exit on 222B from eastbound 94, but cannot enter eastbound 94. You can enter westbound 94 directly off Whittier, but you cannot exit westbound 94 here.

Gistok points out why this is not a "complete" exit, but it is still a GP-accessing exit on eastbound 94 so I think it should be labeled as such. I guess the highway commission does not want to confuse visitors and only wants people to exit at places where they can enter to go in any direction later. I bet the merchants around Harper/Whittier really resent this, though.

Gistok

Post Number: 4877
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Mackinaw, that begs the question... do most folks know that the Harper (222B) exit is not one of the 4 designated exits to get to Grosse Pointe? Unless there's a sign posted at each exit, I bet not.

Most folks probably won't do the exit math "counts" like we do! :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3276
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if the "next 4 exits" sign indeed comes east of Harper/Whittier.

I think I've used the Allard exit twice in my life. Really random place to have a full interchange. Three exits in one mile there.

This whole idea of GP being pointed out on the freeway still has my world upside down haha.

Gistok

Post Number: 4879
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll have to see what other new area signage there is...

Is there one on I-75 that points to Clawson?

Is there one on I-696 that points to Pleasant Ridge or Ferndale or Berkeley or Bingham Farms or Franklin?

Etc....

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the only exit that actually touches a Grosse Pointe is Allard Rd.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I believe a slice of GP Woods extends to the Ford Service Dr. That's the only part of GP that lies outside of Mack Ave.

Gistok

Post Number: 4882
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, GP Woods extends a couple of blocks north of Mack, and then there's that one street (can't remember which one) that is like a finger that goes all the way up to the I-94 Service Dr. It literally cuts that part of Harper Woods in half.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 220
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Van Antwerp is the name of the street

Dan_the_man

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign is located after you pass the Harper exit on the freeway, so it would appear that the state doesn't consider that to be a Grosse Pointe exit. Also that leaves only Cadieux, Moross, Allard and Vernier as the 4 exits, so whether or not they're complete interchanges or not, the state considers them to be Grosse Pointe exits.

Also, not to start an argument or anything Gistok, but I always thought that when an exit had an "A" or "B" designation that it was because there was just more than one exit within the area marked by that mile number. Since you can't have more than one exit with the same number on it they just added the A and B. I believe there is one area in downtown Chicago that the exits go all the way to G or H within the course of a mile.

Gistok

Post Number: 4888
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan, you are probably correct. I was "assuming"... and we all knows what that leads to. :-)

But I was under the impression (from other posters) that the first occurence of that sign was near the Chandler Park Golf Course, which would then include the Chalmers/Outer Dr. and Harper exits.

If there is no signage until after the Harper exit, then it sort of leaves out Grosse Pointe Park, which would logically require a Chalmers/Outer Dr. or a Harper (Whittier) exit.

Now the 227A and 227B westbound I-94 exits.... would Allard be the westbound A or B Exit? Logically I guess it would be the B exit, so that would mean that you get the westbound B exit before the westbound A exit.

Now your comments beg the question... would the Whittier Ave. entrance to westboud I-94 have a number? Or are numbers only assigned to exits?

Well one thing for sure.... you'll never seen an A or B exit on I-696 in Farmington Hills or Novi!! :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entrance from Whittier to 94W does not have a number, as there is no WB exit. Indeed, only exits are numbered.

I guess GP Park won out! They get to remain hidden and unknown to freeway travelers. And I will continue to use the beautifully uncrowded Harper/Whittier exit.

Gistok

Post Number: 4889
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK I drove from SCS to Dearborn and back on I-94 today (on an errand, and not for this thread!), and I checked out every exit from I-696 to Michigan Ave.

Yes, entrances are not numbered/lettered. Only exits are. And they are uniquely identified based on the nearby mile markers.

It looks like the criteria is this... when 2 exits fall somewhat equidistant between a mile marker (and each is within 1/2 mile of that marker), they use the A & B formula for the before and after exits.

Moross/Allard are 224A/224B.
Chalmers/Harper are 222A/222B
Frontenac/Conner are 220A/220B
I-75 Interchange/Russell are 216A/216B
Lodge/Woodward are 215A/215B/215C
Etc...

Interestingly enough is there is only one "C" exit on I-94 in Detroit. The Lodge (M-10) southbound exit is called Exit 215A, the Lodge northbound exit is called Exit 215B (remember the Lodge is the rare freeway interchange exception that has left and right hand exits forking off at the same point, but in different directions). And the Woodward exit nearby is called Exit 215C.

It's ironic... the things that we take for granted and see every day, but don't really notice or don't take the time out to think of the rhyme and reason behind why certain things are the way they are! :-)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5466
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are I-94 numbers by miles from Indiana line? Looks like it.

jjaba is working on another sign but will have to secure funding.

"Welcome to Grosse Pointes. We don't wear socks in summertime with our dress shoes. Adore the ladies in summer backless sun dresses. Iced tea and mint julips next exit."

It's all good. Thanks Rock for the directions to the mansion.

jjaba is amazed how much he doesn't know about anything Eastside. All those streets mentioned could have been in Clevland for all he knows.

jjaba, Westsider.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2713
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are I-94 numbers by miles from Indiana line? Looks like it.

That's the way it usually works.

From Interstate Highway System:
quote:

On even-numbered Interstates, mileage count increases to the east and decreases to the west (except on the I-90 portion of the New York State Thruway, I-90 between Chicago and Rockford, IL, the I-190 spur into O'Hare International Airport in Chicago, and the portion of I-76 in New Jersey, all of which count up going west); and on odd-numbered Interstates, mileage count increases to the north and decreases to the south and the exit numbers increase and decrease accordingly.

(Message edited by Jimaz on July 21, 2007)

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On that note, the westbound sign is located right before the Vernier exit. I thought it was kind of misleading using "Grosse Pointe Communities", considering each of the 5 Grosse Pointes are cities.

Perhaps using Grosse Pointes would have been more correct. What would also be interesting is if the distinguished which exit lead to which city, i.e. Vernier and Allard GP Woods, Moross GP Farms and Cadieux GP.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3307
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking alot of the same things. "Communities" makes it sound like a retirement village...Grosse Pointe Farms would be phase III. It's a descriptor word rather than the correct terminology. Oh well.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer one of the questions posed: there has always been a stand-alone sign on I-75 north for Clawson

Taj920

Post Number: 234
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe Shores is a village, not a city, that is part of Grosse Pointe Township in Wayne and Lake Township in Macomb.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3312
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only because it doesn't meet population requirements. There is still a full docket of city services so the township designations are pretty worthless.

Dan_the_man

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another interesting fact is that Grosse Pointe Shores has no commercial properties in it. The entire village is residential.

Taj920

Post Number: 235
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan_the_man: The Grosse Pointe Yacht Club, even though it's private, is commercial.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3323
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's true, as it has restaurant operations and such, but Dan's point is correct about the Village basically being single-use.

Dan_the_man

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, I did miss that one, but I don't think theres anything else.

Also, coming back from Roseville yesterday I noticed that there is also a Grosse Pointe Communities sign on west bound 94 shortly before the Vernier exit.

Prokopowicz
Username: Prokopowicz

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There aren't even any churches or schools in the Shores; only single family homes, plus the yacht club and the municipal buildings.

Scs100

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong about the schools. Ferry Elementary is located in the Shores, unless I'm putting the border in the wrong place.

Dan_the_man

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferry is listed as GPW on the GP Schools website, and that sounds right to me.

Scs100

Post Number: 1251
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. Wasn't exactly sure about that.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GP North is ALMOST in the shores

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most important question is; will the signage need correction when Harper Woods becomes Grosse Pointe Heights?

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Only because it doesn't meet population requirements. There is still a full docket of city services so the township designations are pretty worthless.

GPS has enough population to incorporate as a city under The Home Rule City Act. 2,000 population is required and GPS had 2,823 according to the 2000 Census. Does anyone know the real reason why it hasn't?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From that freeway link it says that I375 is the shortest Interstate in the system(signed)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.