Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » It's Official, Macomb County's population is now greater than Detroit. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6235
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recent reports from SEMCOG's July 2007 reported that Macomb County's population now stands at 846,898 while Detroit's population is now 843,121 (a loss of 101,149 that 11.4%) Next month it would surpass Detroit's population by 75,000 people.

While Detroit is still in it's development stages. More people are still leaving Detroit a alarming numbers. I believe it's now black flight than white flight or BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS. What's your comments in this issue?

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure on this but hasn't Black flight been surpassing White flight for awhile now??

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, the fact that Detroit's population is getting smaller is obviously a worthy topic of concern. However, I don't think this comparison is all too meaningful because it compares the population of one city versus an entire county. I believe there is something like 30 cities/townships in Macomb county. Granted, Detroit is the major city of the region.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, an entire county vs. an entire city isn't much of a comparison.
Regardless, there's still more worth seeing and doing in the CBD alone than in the entire county of Macomb.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 740
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so glad you guys said what I was about to say.

The population of Oakland County has long far surpassed Wayne AND Macomb county, so what do you say about that? Red-neck flight???

Benjo
Username: Benjo

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2000 census lists Eastpointe as being 4.7% black, but I think that it is probably at least 20% black.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9596
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The population of Oakland County has long far surpassed Wayne AND Macomb county, so what do you say about that? Red-neck flight???

Not even close.

Per Semcog for July 1 estimate:

Oakland - 1.22MM
Wayne - 1.94MM

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 900
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People are posting on a Danny thread....

(I know, I just did as well).

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4862
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to back up what Jt1 has said... Oakland County was always more populous than Macomb County, so none of the 3 counties has ever passed each other in population.

Jt1

Post Number: 9597
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yvette may have seen a listing that had Wayne County minus Detroit. For some silly reason it is listed that way often.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4864
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at Upinottawa... yeah, and in the last year Danny also posted that Dearborn will exceed a population of 100,000 (which it had in the past)... in at least 2 separate threads he started... waiting on #3... :-)

Pinewood73
Username: Pinewood73

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1950 Detroit had 10x as many people as Macomb County.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6236
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjo,

Eastpointe is not yet to be 20% black until the year 2020. Right now its over 6.6% black. Most of them started to occupy the neighborhoods north of E. 8 Mile Rd. to Toepfer St. and from Gratiot Ave. to Beaconsfield St. Two East Detroit Public Schools Katner and Pleasantview Elementary have experienced a rapid enrollment explosion of black students. In a matter of fact Pleasantview Elementary white student population has decreased from 416 in 1988 to 198 in 2007 while its black student population went from 1 in 1988 to 159 in 2007. White flight in some inner ring suburbs has begun. Oak Park, R.O.T. Lathrup Village and Southfield were the first. Then came River Rouge and Ecorse. Warren, Roseville Harper Woods, Redford TWP. and St. Clair Shores will be next on the of inner ring suburban white flight.

Meanwhile, Sterling Heights may surpass Warren in 10 years making the next biggest suburb in the metro-Detroit area. Clinton TWP. and Macomb TWP. are catching up.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4693
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny is right about Sterling Heights. The demographics are changing big time. Every new household in my area is bought by African Americans. Basically they were tired of the bullshit in Detroit.

Downtowntom
Username: Downtowntom

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There goes the neighborhood!

Jt1

Post Number: 9604
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Every new household in my area is bought by African Americans. Basically they were tired of the bullshit in Detroit.

I always love the assumption that black means Detroit to this ignorant region.

It reminds me of the time someone posted that they saw Detroiters all the time at the golf course.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 109
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hear that white people! All the black people are leaving Detroit, it's safe to go back now!

Oh how I wish that was the truth. Not for the sake of race at all but for the benefit of the city's population.

Indianapolis has a population of 785,597 people.
Marion County (where Indy is) has a pop. of 860,454 people.

Ferntruth
Username: Ferntruth

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
I always love the assumption that black means Detroit to this ignorant region.

In all fairness JT1, suburban has become codespeak for white just as Detroiter has for black. It works both ways......

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I always love the assumption that black means Detroit to this ignorant region.

It reminds me of the time someone posted that they saw Detroiters all the time at the golf course."

The saddest part is that most of the people who read your comment won't get it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.