Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Senegal to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toeknowknee
Username: Toeknowknee

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a good friend who is married and lives in Senegal. Her and her partner are planning to come to the states by next year and are interested in the Detroit area for many reasons but also because of the communities of African immigrants. Now I have been trying to help them learn more about what the area has to offer in that sense but I can only help so much.

I found a couple articles about "little Africa" down Livernois between McNichols and Eight Mile. I also found a few sites about a uniquely Senegalese-style Mosque in Southfield where services are in Wolof.

Possibly due to my internet skills this is all I have been able to really come up with. Are any of you a part of, or familiar with the Senegalese communities in the Metro-Detroit area? Any information would be welcome... housing, restaurants, goods, websites, etc...

Thanks!

PS I am relatively new to this so I apologize if I should have posted elsewhere... like under connect because I am asking for assistance? Just let me know.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9584
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The metro times had a really good article about African immigrants in Metro Detroit a month or two back. You may want to search the MT archives.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a large African (I believe Senegalese) community that rents in the Lexington Apartments in Southfield. I think I heard that the Senegalese Masjid is very close to that complex. In terms of shopping and a large African community of all origins, the Livernois corridor down to Marygrove offers African grocers, natural hair braiding and clothing and decorative boutiques. Most of the African immigrants I know are Nigerian however, and they tend to be small business owners that live in Southfield or Oak Park.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to get in touch with Viola Vaughn, a former Detroiter living in Kaolack, Senegal. She would be knowledgeable about African communities in the Detroit area. Here's the link-

http://www.10000girls.org/biog raphy

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2376
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit may be able to help or direct you to others who can help.

"The International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit (IIMD) is non-profit organization, is a United Way agency established by YWCA volunteers in 1919 to serve the community in the areas of education, immigration and social services. THE IIMD, WHERE CULTURES MEET!"

http://www.iimd.org/index.htm

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, great advice everyone. Thanks for the information!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tropical Hutt lounge on Livernois in Detroit. Owned by a Liberian immigrant, African music night is Saturday. Great groove-vibe-and crowd.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there are a few West African restaurants near Mc Nichols/Livernois in the University of Detroit area. Anyone have any info on that?

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The www.detroitrising.com website stated the following about the neighborhood of MARTIN PARK:

"In recent years, the Wyoming-Curtis shopping district, Martin Park's primary shopping district, has seen an influx of African shops and restaurants. Many of the owners of these businesses are recent immigrants from Liberia, Nigeria, Senegal and other West African nations."

Maybe that retail strip would make a great, organic AFRICANTOWN!

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SQINDLES on Wyoming is Nigerian.

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooo I googled Squindles after reading your post and found a metrotimes article....the picture looks delicious! I will have to make a stop there sometime soon.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.