Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 3-D Dinosaur Days « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3-D. Dinosaur Days, 1942-43 Racism?

I have to preface this story with some qualifications of the vernacular that we used in those days.
The words, "Black" and "African" were pejorative adjectives that were used by the racist in
phrases, i.e. “Those Black @#$%^& or those African @#$%^&. The words, “Colored” or
“Negro,” were considered to be politically acceptable. I am not sure what that meant to either
race.
I was a freshman at St. Joe's High School. I was a member of our somewhat pathetic
freshmen basketball team. There were only six members on that team. Our only practice routine
was a 3 on 3 scrimmage. At the start of the second week, our coach, Brother Barnabus, told us
that we were going to scrimmage the Miller High School freshmen team. We were excited.
Wow, we were going to face a real team!
Miller was the ‘all colored’ school in the Public School System. It was located on
McDougall street, east of Gratiot, about 10 or 12 blocks from St. Joe’s. Carrying our duffel bags,
we walked down Jay street with nary a care. We got to Miller and the teams coach was waiting
for us and he took us to the gym. His team of about 15 kids were warming up. Players on both
sides were all upbeat.
Keep in mind that high school basketball in those days was a non-contact sport. Touch
your opponent and your whistled for a foul. Changing hands while dribbling, dribbling behind
your back or under your leg, your called for a double dribble. Palming or rolling the ball in your
hand
and you are called for traveling. Charging or blocking was always a contentious call, but if you
became belligerent you were ejected from the game.
An hour and a half later we were happy that Miller did not hand us our heads in the
scrimmage. They were good and we knew it and we took satisfaction that we learned an awful
lot in that one scrimmage.
A couple of weeks later, we scrimmaged Hamtramck. That was most memorable for me.
For whatever reason, I was suppose to guard Emil “Bones” Jones. Well, I went through all the
motions but this fellow was just incredible. It was a David and Goliath match-up and David lost.
Bones was one of the nicest guys I have ever met.
So where does the racist thing come in? Well, we will always have 1943, but that is not
what it is all about.
Our school was preparing for bigger things but we did not know it at the time
I graduated in 1946. I never made first string on the team because that year we had two great
sophomores and a junior. The following year, St. Joe’s won the Catholic City Championship and
guess who won the Public School Championship? Yep, Miller High School!
The headlines on the sports page of the News said it so succinctly. Words to the effect
that a ‘ neighborhood showdown ’ was going to take place to see who had the better team.
The two teams played for the very first combined City Championship at Olympia Stadium.
I t was a great game and Miller had all the marbles. If we couldn’t win, we were happy that our
neighbor, Miller, won it,
Oh, the racism. Yes, well, it seemed to have taken a break in our neighborhood during
those years.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 540
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom, what a nice story. Thank you. Many years ago, Miller became a middle school and now, at this point, Miller is slated to close.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070714/NEW S01/707140342/1003
The other day Channel 10 aired a video featuring Miller alumni recounting their experiences while attending Miller HS.

Caldogven
Username: Caldogven

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tponetom
My brother went to Miller in the late 30's, so it was not an all colored school. He was as white as snow.

Tponetom
Username: Tponetom

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cal:
Of course your right. There were a certain number of white students at Miller. Miller was 'used' as an example/excuse that the Catholic Schools used, when asked why there were no black students, the reply was, "Well, they have their own school, Miller! Yes, that was/is extremely lame.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 689
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's as if I was there. thanks again. Will you be my grandpa?

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 308
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol TP, you're great man. If only a few people on this forum could learn from you it would have made it all worthwhile.

your the bestest!

the good rev

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.