Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 1951 DPD film « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It shows 1300 Beaubien, the 13th Precinct, the Police Field Day at U of D stadium and some old scout cars. The Mounted Bureau, tug of war team, etc. Interesting, 23 minutes long, but can be fast forwarded if you get bored.

My grandpa is 2nd from the right on the tug-of-war at 19:30

http://www.archive.org/details /ThisIsYo1951

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The days when there was still things to protect. Nice storefronts, no burned out houses.

Cool movie!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9564
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The days when there was still things to protect. Nice storefronts, no burned out houses.

I consider my house something worth protecting. Nice comment.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 185
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

900,000 people are not worth protecting?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9575
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

900,000 people are not worth protecting?

It's amazing how many people in SE Michigan seem to believe that.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man! Half of the film was about Police Field Day. Well, field day was their big fund-raiser. Am I right that the stadium is the old U-D football stadium? The scoreboard lists "Detroit" and "Visitors." I can't believe that they are shooting handguns in a crowded stadium... with a subdivision right behind the targets! Or so it appears. I seem to remember that Fireman's Field Day was usually held at Briggs Stadium. I think it was higher-profile than Police Field Day.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4419
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Jt...you know those 'people' are not worthy of protection...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6249
Posted on Sunday, July 22, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That film would make a great propaganda tool. That an all white Detroit Police force is in action. But those days are gone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.