Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Downtown Rochester Department Store « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 543
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the name of the department store that used to take up almost a whole block of main street?

It was South of University and East of Main. Now occupied by places like Gus O'Conners and others.

Anyone?

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mitzelfeld's.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 544
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YESSSSSS

ty

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rochester,,,,,,holds many dear memories for me and my friends.

We met some girls at camp one year and they were from Rochester.
We would drive up there to get away from the city and crime to see what it felt like to live in a decent place for a change.
We spent many a summer hanging out and just having great times.
With that said,
Shelley, Chrissy, Casey, Chrystal,Heather, Chris,Jennifer, If you are out there, thank you guys for opening my eyes and letting me know that there was a better life awaiting me than the streets.

the good rev

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting, im looking to escape Rochester and move to Detroit.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen,

You are coming from Rochester to Detroit which is great.
Look at it from a point of view from an inner city youth living in crime ridden neighborhood going to Rochester to get away .

We both escaped what we did not like. At least for the short term.

the good rev

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rev Al & Southen: Different strokes. Also, times change. (to get a couple cliches in one post here)

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rev i wasnt trying to discount what you experienced and I can appreciate it. I was simply giving another perspective from what Ive experienced. Rochester used to be a smaller town but has been overrun by snobby, entitled, rich folk escaping Detroit and our inner ring suburbs. For one of my jobs im employed as a stock guy for a local appliance store, its amazing to see how many people in Rochester are out of touch with reality. Many times I hate having to be associated with them.

Its interesting though what people from different backgrounds in different cities will try to escape and what their idea of paradise is.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no Southen,

Please don't misunderstand, I did not take it like that at all. I was just offering my own experience.

And you are right, when I was hanging there there were cows still on Gunn rd. lol

the good rev

Detroit_girl
Username: Detroit_girl

Post Number: 107
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to work at Mitzelfeld's during college, before I moved to Detroit. Mrs. Mitzelfeld was a snobby, condescending bee-yotch.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.