Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Car broken into at Eastern Market « Previous Next »
Archive through July 15, 2007Bulletmagnet56 07-15-07  12:02 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^So in other words you just don't care?

I think the victim in this discussion cared.

However, I don't care what happened because of the bone-head move she made.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 15, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1741
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remind you, the move she made wasn't by mistake like most on here are trying to chest-tie me over, she did it purposely without a care in the world.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 248
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban

Take a good look at some of the pics of the 4th street fair that the owner of this site has put up.

Is this neighborhood not overwhelmingly black?
yes it is.

But yet, when this fair is there people of all ethnicities pour into it and treat each other with the utmost respect as if all were family.

I have never heard of anything bad happening at the fair and seriously doubt I ever will because those people that live there and the ones that attend it are peace loving people.

I guarantee you, just as the gentlemen up above put it, someone more than likely at one time or another has left something of value lying around and the others gladly pointed it out to that someone instead of stealing it.

the good rev

Urbanize

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I guarantee you, just as the gentlemen up above put it, someone more than likely at one time or another has left something of value lying around and the others gladly pointed it out to that someone instead of stealing it."

You're still making it out as a mistake.

This woman left her valuables unattended on purpose.

If I was a typical spectator noticing her put it in her trunk, I would have thought "Well she know what she's doing" and walked away.

However, If I notice that she left it out in the open and could tell she wasn't trying to forget it, I would have pointed it out.

At the same time, you have Criminals and thieves hiding around every bend watching your every move. That's why they always say to check your surroundings before doing things like this.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urban, its not a mistake to try and be trusting of a neighborhood and its inhabitants you are there too support.

Im sorry you feel this way.

You should be able to leave whatever you want where ever you want without it being stolen.
Especially inside her own property without being violated.

the good rev

(Message edited by revaldullton on July 15, 2007)

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 588
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A couple thoughts, taking various sides:

1. I'm sorry that this happened to you.

2. In a city that had 417 murders and 7,233 robberies, a stolen purse is hardly a big deal. just a little perspective, however, that doesn't mean i think it's okay.

3. Considering the above statistics, and that Detroit has been known for its crime for some time, it would have seemed wise to take better precautions, although admittedly, I would think the trunk would be relatively safe. Best option, take only what you need, and take it with you rather than leaving it in your vehicle.

4. This sort of thing can happen anywhere. It can just as easily happen in the parking lot of your local suburban Walmart as it can in Eastern Market.

5. I think it's disappointing that, 50 years ago, one could leave your doors unlocked, and if something was taken, it was unusual, and the criminal was to blame. Now, such theft is commonplace, even expected, to the point that it's almost more surprising if nothing at all is taken. And now, when something does happen, fingers are pointed at the victim, blaming them as much, if not more, than the criminal himself.

Certainly some of that is looking through rose-tinted glasses at a time that I wasn't even alive, and I am certain that crime has always been an issue in Detroit, as it has in every big city. However, it has come to the point where such crime is expected, and almost acceptable. If we, as a society, demand more from our children, our peers, and ourselves, as well as our police, this could change. Unfortunately, too many feel this is someone else's problem, until it reaches our own porch, at which time we pick up and move further and further away. Our answer to crime has been to run away rather than fight it, or to put on blinders and ignore it. Obviously, this has not been an effective way of dealing with things, and much of what was once one of our greatest cities lies in near-ruin and extensive poverty because of it.

Okay, i didn't mean to get on a soapbox, one thing just led to another....

Revaldullton

Post Number: 251
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr,

While all your points are valid I just have to ask.

If people are coming into this neighborhood to support it and are victimized simply for trusting it and its people then what is the sense of trying to go there and help revitalize it at the cost of being victimized.

Locking your purse in your car is not dumb. It is your property and no one should be breaking into it where ever you live.

the good rev

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the words of Bruce Springsteen, on every street in America, you got assholes and nice guys. My sister just got a call, purse was picked up, almost everything is in it, and will be mailed to her house immediately. By a kind citizen.

She said, next time we go to Eastern Market, I'm either bringing a backpack like yours, or we'll lock up the stuff before we get there.

You just can't keep a good woman down.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 649
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, your sense of superiority may be attacked someday. Be careful.

I do, however, understand what you are saying.

You would flip out if you went to live in a small town and you could leave DVD's in the front seat of your car in the grocery parking lot with the windows half open and never even think of locking the doors, come out after shopping to find everything in it's place. It is a fine way to live. Lots of people living The Golden Rule. (Many used to live in the bigger cities and tired of it)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9652
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheers. Good ending to a bad story.

Eastern Market's 300 or so residents are much less than 99% black, btw...whomever spoke that bullshit.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah Kath,

you do remember Detroit was still like that in the 70's.
I do.
The good ol'days.

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ORF, congrats. Hopefully she did not lose much and everything is all well.

the good rev

Revaldullton

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

''Eastern Market's 300 or so residents are much less than 99% black,

I did Gannonn, and Eastern Market Neighborhood is much more than just the immediate market area , it encompasses a little more than just a few stores ,renovated apts and the open air terminal.

you forgot those people.

%99 , maybe not, but extremely close.

the good rev

(Message edited by revaldullton on July 15, 2007)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rev, I do, I do. Of course, things started going downhill pretty quickly in the 1970's.

I blame those infernal hippies! My dad used to call them "hop heads". He was such a dork!

Revaldullton

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol I can't blame the hippies. They only want a peace loving life and are like some of us very trusting.

Unfortunately, trusting in today's world is a bit unrealistic.
Although ,It still is not wrong .

I'm off to pay my respects to some fallen civil war soldiers in James Island.

Ill bbl

you guys try and lighten up a bit. Its a gorgeous day. Lets continue this nonsense later.
Grabs your fam and have some fun.

the good rev

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 191
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet,
I wasn't trying to make excuses for anyone. Ultimately each of us is responsible for our own actions. I do feel bad that peaceful, law-abiding citizens have to be victimized by those that seek to take advantage of others. I am just trying to get people to understand that they do not live in a vacuum nor are any of us innocent. The choices each one of makes affects the rest of the world around us. When we continue to make those choices, on where we live, what we eat, what we buy, where we recreate, it maintains a status quo, or a 'business as usual' model. This business as usual model has far reaching consequences that are at the heart of what everyone likes to complain about. Poverty, global warming, toxic waterways, theft, murder...etc. No one wants to step up and take responsibility for the world they help create they only want to exist in a vacuum.

So while it's easy to point fingers at the transgressor and sympathize with the victim, i feel it prudent to examine the choices that the victim has made that ultimately affects the choices the transgressor has made, or more to the point, the lack of choices available leading to the choice of natural law, meaning the 'path of least resistance'.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 752
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WHY are all you guys fighting? Chill out.

Gotta through the stuff in the drunk before you get to your destination.

OldRedFord, how did they get in?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2193
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a pro job, as far as we can tell. Nice and clean, in and out. Slim Jim.

New car too, they are supposed to be so unbreakable. Hah.

I don't know why I even shared this story except I was so pissed at MYSELF - at me. I know better. Maybe I thought our righteous cause would protect me (joke).

You are all right, it could have happened everywhere but it didn't, it happened in one of my favorite places in Detroit. It won't stop me, and it won't stop my sister, but you should have heard my frickin brother in law. oy vey.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 593
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear of a happy ending to the story. Goes to show that there are good people as well as bad.

quote:

If people are coming into this neighborhood to support it and are victimized simply for trusting it and its people then what is the sense of trying to go there and help revitalize it at the cost of being victimized.

Locking your purse in your car is not dumb. It is your property and no one should be breaking into it where ever you live.

I agree wholeheartedly, you should be able to expect a reasonable amount of security everywhere. Since she put the purse in her trunk - already an improvement over putting it under the seat and locking it in the passenger cabin - I can hardly fault her. Although Urbanize says 'she did it purposely without a care in the world', that seems to be a response to a different thread, in which the victim purposely left her purse on top of the car in plain sight. Oldredfordette, by her own admission, knows better than to leave anything in her car, but that's hardly a reason to condemn her.

In a different day and age, they may have just left Hudson's from downtown, and had a trunk full of purchases. Is it reasonable to expect them to take it all home before stopping at Eastern Market? what if Macy's, and other retailers come downtown? will people have to drive home as soon as their arms get full, or can they drop the packages off and continue a day of shopping? By Urbanize's reasoning, they'd have to go home if they expect any reasonable chance of keeping their belongings, and that's clearly not acceptable.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette- Where did you park in eastern market? Just curious, I had my center caps off my truck stolen last year. I was parked behind the cost plus wine store.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2196
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next to Berts.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eastern market area seems to have more litter lately. anyone else notice that? the market street bridge and along the service drive in particular. there's also a building on Orleans near Mack with all the window glass in pieces on the sidewalk.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>It was a pro job, as far as we can tell. Nice and clean, in and out. Slim Jim.

Sounds like whoever did it was probably watching them when they parked and left their cars. The newer cars are (most times) easier to break into because the top of the doors (around the glass) are easier to pry open... then all you need is a hanger to hit the automatic locks and it's open.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny to hear of the different places that people have had their ONLY theft experience... because I have lived in Detroit for a couple years now, and have never had a problem, and my ONLY theft experience is when I got a backpack stolen out of my car in Howell...lol.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's funny to hear of the different places that people have had their ONLY theft experience... because I have lived in Detroit for a couple years now, and have never had a problem, and my ONLY theft experience is when I got a backpack stolen out of my car in Howell...lol."

I lived in Detroit many years too and the first and only time my car was ever broken into was in NYC ("safest big city in America"). The worst part is what they stole from the car wasn't worth nearly as much as the window the person smashed to get to it...

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is really sad here is the majority of folks just taking the stance of "these things just happen". They just don't in other urban areas. She put her purse in her trunk, not left out on the front seat. Somebody was watching her (them) from the second they parked their car - HENCE the condition of Detroit. It will NEVER change.

So she's dumb for not driving her 2nd car hooptie to Detroit, leaving the doors unlocked so the windows aren't smashed to gain entry, leaving her purse at home, putting her $50 under her left boob, having a container of pepper spray under the other one & a cell phone strapped to a gun under her hair. This is not standard operating procedure for the rest of the U.S. to enjoy a sunny day. Wake up.

Why

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. They got in the trunk with the keys. She was so stupid that she forgot to spin her head around 4 times like Linda Blair in the Exorcist to make sure nobody was watching before leaving them on the the top of the front left tire.

Revaldullton

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol WHY

thanx for telling them like it is.

the good rev

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"P.S. They got in the trunk with the keys. She was so stupid that she forgot to spin her head around 4 times like Linda Blair in the Exorcist to make sure nobody was watching before leaving them on the the top of the front left tire."

Most cars made after oh... 1982(?) have this little button on the inside of the car that opens the trunk without the key. But nice try...

Why

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K., then they got in the car with the key FOB technical one.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in Detroit 36 years never had anything stolen. The one time we were robbed was at Cedar Point, someone broke into our car and stole our luggage. Maybe we are lucky or just aware of our surroundings.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 708
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Granmon says: "Maybe we are lucky or just aware of our surroundings."
---------------

this strikes me as sad. In order to enjoy your day in a big city you are to become "one" with the mind of a criminal? What is happening here?
I will not become one with the criminal mind. I will be offended by all crime against good citizens. I will never suggest that someone "brought in on themselves". When you blame the innocent you become the guilty.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.