Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Gar Wood, Gold Cup, Thunder on the River « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The races are this weekend, anyone going? This is a huge Detroit tradition.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 290
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there today. While today was only for qualifying/testing, it was still great! Lots of boats from all classes went out. Even Kwame got a ride! Plus, there was a great flyover by an F-18 jet. Lots of eye candy too. ;)

Ookpik

Cosine
Username: Cosine

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik--what, no pictures??

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 878
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures on the ABRA website. www.abrahydroplanes.com

Under the latest news tab, hit "Detroit". It's on the "Friday Qualifying At The Gold Cup" story, near the bottom. Click on the pictures for slide shows.

BTW, probably the best news coverage of the hydro circit comes from KNDO/KNDU Television, Tri-Cities, Washington and their hydro website,
www.hydroinsider.com
I don't know how they do it, but they do a bangup job.

(Message edited by douglasm on July 13, 2007)

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 291
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope - no pictures. I have taken thousands of hydroplane pictures dating back 30+ years but didn't feel like taking any this year. Now that doesn't mean I didn't take ANY pictures.

Jefferson Avenue - I took this photo because the building in the center is the Kean Apartments. This building was the "star" of the Old Photo XLV thread.

Vintage photo of the Kean Apartments.

M-12 Too Much F Service Runabout. Although built in Detroit, the home port for this boat was Hopatcong, New Jersey. Marina owners in Hopatcong liked the boat so much, they had a small hydroplane built for themselves and and named it Too Much Jr. It looked like this:

It now looks like this:

This is my brother's boat - the former Too Much Jr. The boat is now known as the Agitator. The photo was taken today.

Non-Descript picture of the pits. I was actually trying to capture the jet flyover but my camera sucks and although the jet is in the photo, it is only a speck.

Finally got it!

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on July 13, 2007)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1097
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I know the Too Much Junior. I took a picture of it as well last year. Didn't know the story behind it though, thanks Ook!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1098
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I know the Too Much Junior. I took a picture of it as well last year. Didn't know the story behind it though, thanks Ook!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Found it!

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 230
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw more cops standing around doing nothing today than fans. Hope the crowd picks up Saturday and Sunday.

The boat races used to be jammed in early 80s.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 949
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need loud engines again. Heard the helicopter engines from Bayview on the river Friday... when we were growing up, the old engines would tempt you all week up in GP....

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 143
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need media coverage too. Aside from a couple weekends in July, who follows hydroplane racing?

Better than NASCAR (IMO), but no media presence.

James

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1832
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to my long-time favorite from the early 60's, Msss Bardahl (U-40)? Loved that boat. Some talk that she is up and about and running again.
Loved that boat.

Douglasm

Post Number: 879
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock....
....check out www.thunderboats.org which is the website for the Hydroplane And Race Boat Museum in Seattle. Hit "Restorations" then click on the picture of the U-40. There's the complete story of the '57 Bardahl. The restoration would make old Ole Bardahl proud.

Jeez, Mike Allen just blew over the U-1 in the final. Hope he's OK.

Douglasm

Post Number: 880
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Appears that Allen just got shook up real bad.

Darn. It's not that I have anything against a boat owned by a guy named Sven, but I really wish Steve David had won in the Oberto. I think I'll auger my pain with a pepperoni stick.....

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1833
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, dougm. And I see after a little research, that the U-40 is scheduled to compete in a couple of weeks out in Washington State. That's good news that she is not in a museum somewhere.
I had the pleasure of meeting a few of those race drivers when our Dossin museum hosted a reception for the Unlimiteds several years ago. One of our Board members, "Fearless "Freddie Alter, was a pretty well-known driver.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so who went? how were the crowds? Judging by the lack of discussion on the forum, few if any spectators in this crowd. Too bad as the event could use some support.

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, is it the 100th Anniversary next year? I had tickets, had a rough time waking up at 8 a.m. though!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.