Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Lustron homes « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any Lustron homes in the Detroit area? They were manufactured after WWII and there are said to be some remaining in this area.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is one for sale on ashland on the east side, and its been updated nicely on the inside (without damaging the authenticity of it wherever possible). i've been in it, its pretty cool. its on a canal to lake st. clair too

http://www.oconnordetroit.com/ properties/residential/654_ash l/1.htm

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2369
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rebecca Binno-Savage of the Detroit Area Art Deco Society wrote a nice piece on the Lustron homes in Oak Park: http://www.daads.org/modern/13 01/lustron.htm

And some background:
http://www.wosu.org/archive/lu stron/history.php

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are several in Ann Arbor, including a nice on on Pontiac Trail on the north side of the city.

Crystal

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do tell! Is the Lustron home in Ann Arbor on the east or west side of the street? Is it easily identifiable? Thanks to all for this fascinating information.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again I have learned something new from the knowledgable people on this forum. I had never heard the term "Lustron" home. Now I know what they are! Thanks again for helping my daily education!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah but it's no Dymaxion Home.

There was one on display at Henry Ford Museum. Not sure if it's still there or not. Good ol' Buckminster Fuller and his geodesic domes.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw, on realestateone.com if I remember correctly, a geodisic dome for sale on Trumbull. Just go to the realestateone.com home page, and search for homes in Detroit in the 48216 zip code, and I think it's in there.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2483
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

several in ann arbor, s 7th south of pauline, bydding street has two next to each other, there is one on indianola near chandler street and the one on barton near pontiac trail_ there may be more and I know one was torn down years ago

Crystal

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this forum.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is at least one in Mount Clemens. On just West of gratiot, and North of the Clinton River.

I was also in the Lustron on Ashland that Gravitymachine mentioned. A super cool place, and a great deal for whomever ends up purchasing it.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3762
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oak Park...There's a few in Oak Park.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover and Crystal: As I recall, the Pontiac Trail Lustron in AA is on the right (east) side of the street as you go north toward the edge of town. I think it's one block north of Barton Dr., on the corner. You'll know it if you see it. Always coveted it when I lived in that neighborhood.

(Message edited by texorama on July 14, 2007)

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lustron homes in Oak Park are on Oneida Street. There was a nice article on a couple that purchased their Lustron home brand new in 1948, but I cannot seem to find it. I seem to think it was in the MetroTimes.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9636
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They alluded to the other homes that also suffered modernization of their building materials in that Lustron article, I know of a woman up near Saginaw Bay whose house is made of aircraft material.

Dunno the brand behind it, but it was another experimental construction using materials knowledge gleaned around the time of WWII.

I think they're unique, but not as cool as a refurbed historic warehouse building. They've still got lawns to contend with!!

Crystal

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This link is to a series of photos from last November, of the Lustron homes on Oneida in Oak Park. I do not know the photographer; I found the photos in a Google search.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/k breenbo/sets/72157594394161527 /

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a number of Lustron homes down in Toledo. The City Paper did a nice cover story on them a few months ago, you may still be able to find it on thier website. toledocitypaper.com

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good God I'm glad someone can appreciate those homes because I certainly, for whatever reason, am unable to.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the article on the original homeowners on Oneida Street. http://www.daads.org/modern/13 01/lustron.htm

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They sound like they are easy to live in, except for the heat. I wouldn't mind living in the one on Ashland. How does the heat-from-the-ceiling system work, exactly?

Username: 48202

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lustron factory was in Columbus, Ohio. It was built for Curtiss-Wright, and designed by…

Albert Kahn.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.