Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Whats going to replace building at Forrest and Cass? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the office/wayne state building at Forrest and Cass is getting demolished...what are the plans for whats going to happen when it's gone?

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you referring to the old Forest Arms Apartment building? That's the only demolition that I am aware of in that area. I'm not sure what is replacing it, if anything.

I liked its massing on the urban area and wish it was replaced by something similar, but I doubt that would happen. The townhomes bordering the old tower on Hancock Street would be nice or maybe something a little more "Ellington-like".

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 542
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forest arms isnt going down it is WSU's Forest Apartments. It was the 1960's rather ugly 10-12 story building on Forest in between Cass and second.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 529
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it will be a surface parking lot..

woohooo for progress, Detroit style

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2115
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because it really is so lovely as it sits right now.

Woo hoo for progress, since it's replacing parking lost to the developments happening on Woodward, no?

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is this building being torn down? It's not that old; I would guess circa 1980. It was designed by Kessler.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building was abandoned by WSU almost 2 years ago. It was replaced in part by the new Towers dorms on Anthony Wayne. There was much controversy over the demolition of it for reasons I don't completely recall. I do know if was antiquated by the newer dorms and apartments. I also believe that the parcel is planned to eventually be sold for development. In the mean time it is replacing the UT/surface parking on forest once the building comes down but before the new structure on forest and woodward goes up. In the mean time WSU has lost all of its parking South of Warren. For people like me who have the majority of their classes in Old Main and work until 9:30 in the evening in the building this means a very long walk this year. The nearest structure #6 sells out for semester long passes and is more expensive than any other structure on campus. Sorry guys but parking IS and issue at Wayne State especially in the beginning of the semesters.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live at Second and Forest. Going to be a parking lot.
Too bad...almost all the street parking for residents is already taken, and they're going to throw up another wayne $tate pay lot.
I would have liked to see a little green space. Looks like I'll have to settle for the plants in my apartment.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to some previous threads regarding the South Village Development on Woodward--Due to the displacement of parking around University Towers while the residences, as well as a multilevel parking structure bordering Forest are being built, the site where the Forest Apartments sit will be a TEMPORARY gravel lot until the finality of the South Village construction. (Federal Mogul Library Annex on Cass and Prentis was also demo'ed for this purpose.)

Plans for the site afterwards, include potential Graduate Housing akin to South University. (Given WSU's push to be a more "resident" university vs. commuter school, i can't imagine that the entire space would sit as gravel lot for long)

The stalling over demolition was due to the heavy amounts of asbestos and subsequent abatement and the means to perform that task.

As far as the design of the building, I have not heard that it was designed by Kessler, only that it was a modular temporary structure similar to ones built in East Germany. It was built around the early 80's but it was meant to stand for only 15 years.

Candidly- I lived there for 6 months, Kessler or age aside, it was a roach infested hellhole. Tear that schitt down!

(Message edited by KorridorKid on July 12, 2007)

(Message edited by KorridorKid on July 12, 2007)

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 436
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, mdoyle (rules) is correct - the building on forrest and cass is to be turned into a lot. as a resident on the same block, i'm actually most concerned currently with the disposal of the hazardous waste from the demo... (asbestos!!!) the insulation from right underneath the asbestos tiles blows all over the place... onto my lawn, car, alley, and on to the nearby streets...

i heard that Wayne was going to actually develop that into something themselves after the current projects were completed...

Psychgrad
Username: Psychgrad

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.bog.wayne.edu/meeti ngs/2007/03-21/budgetfinance03 07_itemv.pdf

This is the pdf from the March Board of Governors meeting that discusses reasons for the demo - and it seems there were quite a few of them.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2295
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never understood why there is a surface parking lot on Third across from the new dorms that is right in front of a parking structure. Why not put another parking structure on the surface lot and allow for more parking for WSU students in that area?

Mdoyle

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both of those structures are pretty old. The newest is structure 6 behind Barnes and Noble with ground floor retail and all. Home to LaPita Fresh.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 323
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

old structures don't get old until they hit one hundred.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad...I meant the Forest Apartment building and not the historic Forest Arms. Thanks for pointing that out! :-)

Arcas
Username: Arcas

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In the mean time WSU has lost all of its parking South of Warren. For people like me who have the majority of their classes in Old Main and work until 9:30 in the evening in the building this means a very long walk this year. The nearest structure #6 sells out for semester long passes and is more expensive than any other structure on campus. Sorry guys but parking IS and issue at Wayne State especially in the beginning of the semesters.

Tried any of the alternatives, Mdoyle? Structure 3 is right across Woodward. Structure 2 is what, all of 2 blocks away from Old Main.

Neither is a very long walk.

Sure, they could probably use more parking. But mostly for clueless freshman in the early Fall Semester. Everybody else is savvy enough to mostly avoid that mess and/or willing to do a little bit of walking.

Until the freshman crush is done, they street park in Woodbridge and walk down Warren. Or street park in TechTown north of campus and walk the 2 blocks south to WSU. A lot of my friends would park over near my house near CCS and the DIA and do the 10-15 minute walk over to campus. And that's the same walk I did everyday.

Saying WSU has a parking problem is like saying downtown has a parking problem. They don't. The problem is that everyone really wants to be able to park two steps away from whatever building they're going too.

http://parking.wayne.edu/pdf/p ricelist.pdf

Arcas

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Never understood why there is a surface parking lot on Third across from the new dorms that is right in front of a parking structure. Why not put another parking structure on the surface lot and allow for more parking for WSU students in that area?

Royce, looks like that surface lot will eventually become the new Residential/Honors College building. So says "The Plan":

http://www.facilities.wayne.ed u/mp/067-093%20sect4%20-%20Mas terPlan.pdf

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4410
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arcas where doesit say there?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6198
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spiritofdetroit,

I don't think that area over at Forrest and Cass is going to be a parking lot. It may set aside for a PRIME DEVELOPMENT OPPORTUNITY.

Arcas

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deep in the document there is a small blurb about it in the "On Campus Housing" section. But it doesn't say much besides "The Main Campus is the proposed as the site for a new Residential/Honors College containing 400 beds."

Mainly what I was looking at though, is just the map on the second page. There, building G is listed as the new building and its location on the map is right on top of the surface lot Royce mentioned. (Structure 2 is right next to it).

I just noticed as well, they also discuss it too in Section 6: Implementation. On the third page under Midterm Initiatives: "Demolish the surface Parking Lot C in front of Parking Structure 2. Design and construct a Residential/Honors College on the west side of Anthony Wayne Drive to accommodate 400 undergraduates."

The Link for section 6:
http://www.facilities.wayne.ed u/mp/123%20-%20127%20sect6%20- %20Implementation.pdf

And the full report:
http://www.facilities.wayne.ed u/mp/2020mp.htm

Keep in mind though that the report is from about 6-7 years ago I think.

So it's pretty interesting to see what things are on schedule (like the new dorms/welcome center), ahead of schedule (like South University Village), and horribly behind schedule (new sports arena?).

Mdoyle

Post Number: 133
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arcas I'm a 5th year undergrad and I ride my bike from Woodbridge as much as possible. I'm not a huge fan of street parking, Alexandrine is a sure fire way to get your car broken into even if theres nothing inside of it. Meter parking is not an option.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.