Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ultra Culture In Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm quite a soccer fan, and am a member of an "ultra" fan club for my favorite soccer team A.E.K. Athens.

Anyways, I couldn't help but wonder, would ultra culture work for Tigers Baseball? How great would it be to have a section of hundreds of screaming fans with unique and crazy cheers and chants at every Tigers game?

I started a blog if anyone is interested in promoting ultra culture at CoPa.
http://motorcityultras.blogspo t.com/

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3237
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mentioned this basic idea on a thread from last week where we lamented the sometimes lame atmosphere at CoPa. I agree with the premise. I'd be surprised if the Tigers permitted it, even if it would mean a livelier stadium.

Sometimes you want to be particularly enthusiastic at the game because you know it is a huge game, but often the people sitting around you are such big fans (or fans at all), so either you make them uncomfortable or they annoy you. Giving a designated place for the people who understand the intensity of baseball (yes there is intensity) would be great. Bring on the hooligans!

Vintagesoul
Username: Vintagesoul

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a designated area would be great so those who want to avoid it can do so. I can think of a few games where I've moved to get away, but if I knew the area to avoid that would be great.

I'm not a loud fan, I like it more quiet myself..but I don't see anything wrong with "uber" fans.

Although, isn't that type of fan actually kind of indiginous (for lack of a better word) to soccer? I've seen some of those Euro football matches get pretty out of hand... lol.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm...i believe that section is called the bleachers. the last time i went to a game i sat in the bleachers for the first time, and i gotta tell ya, it is definitely a different group of people there. the guy next to me, a season ticket holder in the bleachers, was talking about how at every game, the section goes through something like a dozen beach balls that are all ultimately confiscated by copa security but they still continue to sneak them in.

Christos

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thought is this. Get tickets in pavilion section 151, so there is no one's view to block, and so casual fans can join in the fun in the standing room area behind the section.

And as long as the cheers and chants were somewhat clean. And there was no violence.

I think this could work.

Christos

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the bleachers are the "family section" and dont sell beer.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 773
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean those people are sober?

And will there be riots after each game?

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 465
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there's no way those people are sober. just because they don't sell beer doesn't mean you can't get up and go buy it on the concourse.

Christos

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True that, but it helps when there are vendors in the section.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone can be an "uber" fan without doing a cheer routine, chant or carrying on in a loud fashion. There are people who sit nearly silently through games, keeping score, who are probably more "uber" fans than anyone on this forum. So, you have to behave in unison with an entire group to be considered more of a fan than someone else?

Someone wants an entire section so their group can conduct themselves in a unified fashion? What is this, the student section at the Big House?

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christos, Most MLS teams have a core group of supporters who are similar to ultras. (Section 8 Chicago, La Barra Brava in DC, etc) It could be interesting to start something at an Ignition game in the suburbs...

I don't think it would work at CoPa. But then again, there are loud groups of fans at japanese games. I don't know if they're similar to ultras.

Christos

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ultra culture seems to be thriving in MLS. Years ago I started a Detroit Chapter of the "Midnight Riders", a fan club of the New England Revolution. The Revolution was my team because of the fact they had Detroit native (and my childhood soccer idol) Alexi Lalas on their team. A bunch of my friends went down to a Columbus Crew game to watch them play and had a BLAST.

But southofeight, I'm not implying that an "ultra" fan is a "better" fan than a quite one, just different.

One thing I like about baseball is that it can be a very relaxing game to see live, but I think that a specific section for loud and energetic fans would be beneficial to both those who want to be loud and those who don't.

The psychological edge that a massive group of fans singing and cheering in unison though can be very advantageous for a home team.

Oh and yes, the student section of the Big House is exactly what I'm going for! ;)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3240
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, nothing wrong with that atmosphere.

I notice that the Tampa Bay Rays have a group of loud fans making lots of noise throughout the game. I want to say the Dodgers do too. If these places can have it, so can the city with the best team.

Christos

Post Number: 104
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

-and perhaps the greatest sports fans in America.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you be able to hear yourselves over the noise of the advertisements announcer, "Motown" music and other various sounds?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.