Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Tunnel to B & C Concourses at DTW « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know anything about the sound and light show in the tunnel which connects the B & C concourses to the McNamara terminal at DTW, such as who designed it and what it cost to install?

I have flown through many airports, and this is without a doubt the cooolest thing I've ever encountered in any of them.

For those who haven't seen it here's a link to a still photo, although it can't do it justice.

http://www.airport-technology. com/projects/wayne/wayne2.html

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An old friend of mine, his mom did the glasswork. Foxfire Studio.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1561
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The music is WAY too loud in that tunnel.

I hope they turned it down since then.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox Fire: www.foxfireglass.com. They also did a large glass sculpture in a newly renovated office building in downtown Pontiac.

Construction finished on Waterman Center in downtown Pontiac

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ devnews/waterman0026.aspx

Tiberius
Username: Tiberius

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All in all it's pretty cool, better than disney's future world stuff. You might have caught it also on America's funnies home video. Some woman didn't know she was walking the wrong way.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11632
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The music is WAY too loud in that tunnel.

I hope they turned it down since then.

If it's too loud, then you're too old.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 943
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God bless DTW.

The walkway in the United terminal at Ohare is also pretty cool.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.urbanplanet.org

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have to be flying international to go through there?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3385
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necessarily, although you would think you're the way to an intergalactic flight.

Ray mentioned the tunnel connecting terminals B & C at O'Hare, which is similar, although I can't remember if they had similar mood music.

(Message edited by MikeM on July 17, 2007)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, all you have to do next time you fly Delta, or Northwest is take the elevator or escalator at the fountain down to the lower level. The B & C terminals are for short range flights.

Be sure to check out the Italian restaurant on the other side,(Ahhhhhhh the Alfredo Sauce) but don't overindulge, I put on 40lbs when I worked for Northwest. <313>

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a great decompression chamber for those of us coming back on business.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.