Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit's Grocers and Fresh-Food Outlets « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kpm
Username: Kpm

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As reported in Crain's Detroit Business:

A new financing fund in the works could bring fresh food to areas of Detroit that are starved for it.

LaSalle Bank Midwest has committed $15,000 to the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. to study how a fund could help establish more grocers and fresh-food outlets in neighborhoods where convenience-store fare makes up the bulk of residents' diets...

More at http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0712/FREE/307120012/-1/newslet ter04

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 894
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a waste of 15K.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 723
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here was the original study by LaSalle. It's pretty interesting. Let's hope some progress is made!!

http://www.lasallebankmidwest. com/about/pdfs/strandedindeser t.pdf

(Message edited by spidergirl on July 12, 2007)

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 218
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could have spent that money on Kwame's crack and hooker project.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet, a study.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only person who was able to operate a good store in the inner-city was Borman. If only he could buy a few sites and show everyone a thing or two.......

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Borman as in founder of Farmer Jack's? You know they folded, right?

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would happily pay upwards to a 15%-20% mark up (compared to comparable suburban stores) for a clean, well stocked, grocer, with fresh foods, and with a helpful/courteous staff somewhere near downtown. A place similar to Trader Joe's or one of those smaller speciality grocers like Westborn. How about a deli counter and decent hours?

To keep the man-children, beggars, poor lost souls, trouble makers and thieves away, I'd gladly pay a yearly membership fee.

Swipe card and security guard atcha!

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J_stone, have you been to Harbortown Market on E. Jefferson? I have been going there since they opened about 20 years ago. The quality of goods, selection and service, are in my opinion, quite good. Also, they have good produce, a well stocked deli counter and are open every day (Sunday, too) until 9pm. I, too, am (somewhat) happy to spend a little bit more and keep my dollars in the city. As long as Detroiters continue to shop outside the city, the large chains will continue to avoid it.

(Message edited by downtownguy on July 12, 2007)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 724
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Downtown guy...harbortown market is great...if you can afford it. I usually went to the Farmer Jack on east jefferson, but only because of the price. The harbortown market seemed to have the better products.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm oblivious to the cost of groceries.

When people say, for example, "the prices are too high at Harbortown", what exactly are they saying? What kind of difference are we talking about? Ten cents? Twelve bucks?

Would someone give me an actual example? Sweet Corn: 89 cents at Harbor Town, 79 at FJ?!

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you had kids to feed and you were shopping for a family you would probably be a lot less oblivious .

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey Bee is awesome in SW Detroit area and so is Mike's on Gratiot and 7 Mile. There are lots of good markets in the city (and lots of bad) but it is an urban myth that we don't have any good markets.

Innovator
Username: Innovator

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is most certainly not an urban myth, however, that we do not have enough good markets, and that many neighborhoods in the city lack enough fresh food choices. Why exactly is this a waste of 15K? Access to fresh food should be universal. I can think of plenty of other things Detroit is spending money on that we should not be.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.