Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Water Main Breaks - Closes I-96 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downtownguy
Username: Downtownguy

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a mess. Live coverage now on all local tv stations. CNN has also covered it.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ index.html

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1291
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised they are still letting traffic pass on the WB side. I know those concrete medians are thick, but I wouldn't wanna chance it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't this same thing happen a couple years ago on I-96 around there?

Downtownguy

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. Guy from the Livonia water dept was interviewed and said it had happened before.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1556
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap! I heard about this but didn't think it was this bad. Watch the Channel 4 stuff!

Cambrian

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised they can't just turn off a valve to that busted main.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 720
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the hell is the other direction not closed? That seems like common sense.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just mentioned on the news that they want to ask about servicing on these mains. Mentioned the city of detroit doesn't have a lot of money and maybe that is part of the problem.

This is where, Livonia? Redford? Is the CoD responsible for all the piping in metro Detroit? I know they supply the water, but I would suspect the mains, sewers, etc are paid for and maintenance is the responsibility of the local municipality, yes?

So, is Channel 4 right or am I?

Downtownguy

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone on the news asked the same thing. You gotta wonder just how much pressure is on those concrete retaining walls. If it breaks, the other side of the freeway will be submerged in no time.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>So, is Channel 4 right or am I?

I believe Sterling Heights was required to pick up the tab on that big sinkhole a couple years ago, so Livonia is probably responsible.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 721
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to see one of Livonia's fine citizens being interviewed on WDIV. lol

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They just shut off the water, but the water is still spilling over.

A worst case scenario would be if a Rain Shower popped up right over the area.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it getting worse on the other side?? Looks like it might be.

They need to close the entire freeway NOW. Can't they just route them on the service drive and let them back on past the incident?

Somebody is gonna stall out...

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 323
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how when something out of the ordinary, and is a pretty serious issue (like this was), is treated like Armageddon from news reporters. The tone in their voice says, "the event was a complete tragedy...there were no survivers. Avoid the area if you don't want to die."

I watched the television coverage for almost an hour as I was cleaning, and just thought, well if only there were better checks and balances in terms of our built infrastructure, growth, and sprawl, maybe we wouldn't have to suffer from things like this.

I'm sure it'll all be reduced to blaming it on Detroit, and we'll all just move along as if nothing happened.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 385
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is this the first strike in the invasion of Livonia?

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 724
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if you guys can't bail water out of a bathtub, you need to be invaded!

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newsflash! Detroit sabotages Livonia freeway for abandoning bus service![/ha]

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Break out the dingy!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1246
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian...You just can't shut off a main at the snap of a finger. It is a long drawn out process. This is a 48-inch main which means that it has a 48 inch valve. It can be manually closed, which would be up to 1,000 to 5,000 turns. I am sure they used a motorized horse to speed things up with this valve.

Iheartthed...Yes, this main did break in September of 2003 just east of the current break

Cambrian

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neat. I guess by your name you are in the know about water mains. Care to speculate on the cause for the break?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are investigating the cause right now. I actually know what caused the main to break but the reason why it happened is sketchy. For this reason I am not going to say until everyone completes their analysis of the situation. then I will be free to share the findings.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I liked the people sitting on the roofs of their cars waving at the chopper. That would be me, all happy. I mean, a situation like that, all you can do is shrug and laugh and enjoy something different happening in your day. LOL

(I am assuming nobody was seriously injured, I haven't been following close cuz I'm WORKING!)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.