Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » So.....what if THIS happened? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

downtown Mall

downtown mall

from last night's WSU Virtual Motor city binge.

Look up the "Carnival Mall" on WSU-VMC--it's scarry!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6190
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say this carnival mall would die out by the 1990s due to all po'folks, robberies and shootings.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wot i think its a grate idea we need mallz to make ppl com into the city and spend mony

* Medication kicking in... *

MY GOD HOW HORRIBLE!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 884
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG! The Pentagon as a shopping mall.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'd take a software company over that anyday

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"OMG! The Pentagon as a shopping mall."

THe first thing that came into my head when I saw it. I could of swore it was D.C.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea might have worked if it had been built immediately after Kern's was razed. It also might have prompted Hudson's and Crowley's to renovate their buildings with downsized stores and other mixed-use elements (condominiums, hotel, parking etc.).

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6307
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The saddest thing is that the great architect Charles Agree was reduced to designing mall at the end of his career.

From the Vanity Ballroom to Oakland Mall.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2338
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best thing would be that "midtown" would be the area around the mall, and we could still call the corridor the corridor.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 378
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's only two stories, and next to Hudson's, lol.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have been a simple matter to build an office or condominium tower above the two-story mall. Unfortunately, there was no demand for such a tower, then or now.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kern Block demo

Crowley-Milner / Kern Block

WSU/VMC both

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and so it began...

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you say 80's???

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Victor Gruen designed a very similar mall in downtown Rochester NY. It worked for a while. I visited the mall around 1990 and found it to be an interesting space. At the time one of the department stores was still open, but not by much, there was also a dime store, and a few other places. It did a good job of connecting the Xerox Tower with Main Street though and there were people there, it just was not lively.

The place had a monorail that encircled the inside. It was pretty much a kiddie-ride.

Here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LtG2CfAwMGE

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.